My 4 year old refuses to sleep!

It's a new phase and she does not want to go to bed, she'd rather play and pitches a fit when I put her in her bed and tell her it's time to sleep. No nap but she has quiet time. Do you think maybe she's overtired at that point? I don't know what to do!

marine_wife0520

Asked by marine_wife0520 at 3:11 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Not knowing what time she gets up and when she goes to bed, I'd guess that she is over tired. Try adjusting her bed time by 15 minutes and see if it helps.

I would also make sure that she is verbally warned that bed time is coming up. And have a nice, calming bed time routine. My 5 yr old gets warnings starting 1/2 before bed, and then he needs to get his pajamas on. Then he gets dessert/snack, meds, brush teeth, good nights to everyone but the chosen parent. Then one of us gets him in bed, reads a short story and lights out.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:21 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Have her play more in the day and have her get up early in the morning.
    Augusta

Answer by Augusta at 3:12 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Saw on Supernanny that after the bedtime routine you should take her back to bed as often as it takes and there should be no talking. Stay calm and loving, but no talking. Another idea was to sit on the floor with your back to the bed and, again, when she gets up you calmly take her back to be over and over. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:07 PM on Dec. 15, 2010