Pacifier or thumb?

would you rather give your child the pacifier untill 2yo .
or never give your child the pacifier and have your kid suck their thimb 24/7 until theyre 6?????

leksismommy

Asked by leksismommy at 3:26 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• Definitley a pacifier. You can always take it away from them.

I was a thumb sucker way past 6, and spent my entire teenage years in some form of orthodontia to correct the problems.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:30 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• i dont like either but my son does both !! :-s he's 4 months old. he puts his whole fist in his mouth and loves sucking on that. he's drooling everywhere and makes a mess. so i give him the pacifier. his pedi is saying that pacifier is ok for now so i'm not planning on discontinuing it for another 4-5 months. lets see what happens after that
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 3:30 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Umm... Thumb I suppose, my children were/are breast fed, suckling is natural, it's comforting, my children never took a pacifier, never really sucked their thumbs either though. Do a bit of research, it's interesting
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 3:42 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• well some children prefer neither. just because they dont take a pacifier, doesn't mean they'll suck their thumb instead, or vice versa.

anyway i prefer the paci. all mine were easily weaned from it just after their first birthdays.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:48 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Thumb. It's her body. If she wants to suck on part of it that's fine with me.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:49 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I wish my daughter liked a paci, she was/is a finger sucker and it is the hardest habit for her to break (she is 3) I have to tell her to take her fingers out b/c she tries to do everything one handed.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 4:15 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• pacifer. easier to take away eventually.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 4:15 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• From the day my son was born he took a pacifier. The nurse at the hospital told us that when children are born they either love to suck or they are content to not suck (during times when not feeding). My son loved to suck. It was comforting. So the pacifier staid. At ten months my child chucked it. He pushed it out of his mouth as I attempted to put it in his mouth while getting him into the car. Didn't want it anymore.  What I learned: if you provide for your child and are in tune with your child's needs - they will eventually, in their time, not need the thumb or the pacifier.  Not a single issue of needing to suck since ten months.  I do feel lucky and like we escaped a big issue.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:47 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• pacifier -- you can't take away the thumb
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 3:30 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• My son never really prefered both.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:05 PM on Dec. 15, 2010