How does WIC do self empoyment income?

My dh is self employed, and he does get a check from a company he freelances with, but they do not take out taxes. We have to take out a percentage ourselves and save that for tax purposes, does WIC take that into consideration? If they do, we'd qualify for WIC, but if they don't, then we don't qualify :(

MrsFizz007

Asked by MrsFizz007 at 9:35 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in General Parenting

• just use last yrs tax statements.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 9:54 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• When my husband was self-employed, all they did was ask me how much he made. I didn't have to show them anything and I was never denied WIC.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 9:54 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• WIC goes by pre-tax income regardless of whether you're self employed or working for someone else.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:42 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• My DH has been self employed for 15 years and any time something goes by income it is the schedule C "bottom number " which is the profit or loss, so that it is after any business expenses.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:09 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• The only problem is when I called the WIC office, they said they do not do income with taxes! I couldn't understand that, so I'm wondering why that is and what I need to do.
    MrsFizz007

Answer by MrsFizz007 at 11:22 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I would call again and tell them that is the only proof of income that you have, sometimes you get different answers from different people in the same office regarding self employed income. I have even had the insurance company tell me that they needed the business income before expenses and had to argue that my husband doesn't keep the money he pays to his employees and for materials, so it does not count as household income.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:52 AM on Nov. 8, 2008