Autism Support

My friends adoptive daughter was just diagnosed with autism this morning. She is really upset and having a hard time processing this news.
I don't know how to support her..what to say to bring her comfort in this difficult time.
Anyone been through this that might have advice?

tobys.mommy

Asked by tobys.mommy at 3:51 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• Autism Speaks is a good source of info. She needn't be THAT upset, its not a disease, its just a different way of thinknig for these kids. They are perfectly normally functioning people that are perfectly healthy, Granted everyone is different with this problem, but in my case with twin boys with Autism, they are just a nit unfocused and have some behavioral issues and hyper focus, but are otherwise normal Jr High School aged kids.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 3:55 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• agree with first poster, its hard on any parent though when these happen
    angelbaby1323

Answer by angelbaby1323 at 3:57 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I took it a little hard. It is pretty overwhelming at first. I keep thinking it was my fault if maybe I would have done more of this or that while I was pregnant or whatever. But it has been two years now and my son went from only saying two words to now sentences. He is attending school and has a fantastic teacher. She has worked with him so much that maybe by next year he can start taking regular classes. Just because she is autistic isn't the end of the world it just means a little more patients. There are many books and programs out there that help you understand what your child is going through and other parents have went through. My son is still just as amazing as my other children. He is almost more loving and considerate at times than any other child I know. Lol and no one can pick on his little brother. Just look at the positive in her.
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 4:08 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Autism can be somewhat healed by keeping the child away from too much noise: TV, radio, computer, video games, etc. Autistics are having too much sensory overload. They need calm, quiet. They also need one-on-one time with mom, even if they don't want it. Sometimes the touching is too much sensory overload, but it's necessary for brain development.
    Get her the book, A Pretty Girl Was Alpha Bette, to use with her daughter every day. The phonics will help her brain learn to differentiate stimuli easier as well as give her necessary parent-time.

http://thegodfreymethod.com
    RocketMom14kids

Answer by RocketMom14kids at 4:08 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• ^^^agreed
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 4:19 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• been there done that. The best thing you can do is to be there for her. Talk to her about it, learn about it mention the "A" word. Be understanding when he daughter shows autistic behaviors. Cry with her laugh with her. Applaud the milestones, be her shoulder thru the hard times. If you see articles about autism cut them out & give them to her. When the baby gets older yoga has been shown to offer benefits to autistic kids www.Autismspeaks.org is a good place to start so is www.autism-society.org www.autismthings.com www.autisminspriation.com www.theautismnews.com
    Your friend will be gaining a whole new vocabulary I.E.P. (individualized Education plan) I.D.E.A. (Individuals with disabilities education act) she will also need to look up wrights law There are federal web sites as well as state and local web sites to get info. Is she on CM? If not she may want to join. G/L to her.
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 4:40 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Autismspeaks.org is a great one. My son is TEN and he has been through a lot. But we do know a lot more about it and there is help. I have known since he was 3 and he wasn't even talking. He is now in the fifth grade and reading. So she just needes time to take it in and then hopefully she will be ok.
    LADYA1983

Answer by LADYA1983 at 9:58 PM on Dec. 15, 2010