A white tongue..?

Is there anyone cleaning their infants tongue. My little one is on soy based formula and it leaves a white coat on her tongue. Is there a way I could clean her tongue without upsetting her too much.

Kaye924

Asked by Kaye924 at 3:57 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my niece was on soy as an infant and it would leave a white coating on her tongue and give her yucky smelling burps! anyway im not sure what sil did if anything at all. i would think just putting a warm rag on your finger and gently wiping it would be ok. but you probably dont need to clean it, it will clean itself most likely.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:59 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• You can use a finger brush. Are there any white spots on her gums or cheeks? It may be thrush?
    Caoimhe_Oona

Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 3:59 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• They sell those infant tooth and tongue brushes in the baby isle. You just slip it on your finger and its a soft rubber and wont hurt the baby
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:59 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• let her drink a bit of water from her bottle. It will wash it away
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 4:00 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• i covered my finger with a bib or burp cloth and wiped it. it came right off. i wiped just once.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 4:11 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Thanks! I think I will get a infant tongue brush. She just has it on her tongue. I checked the rest of her mouth so it isnt thrush. But I wanna be extra careful and clean her tongue. I tried using a rag with my finger but it was awkard and it was afraid of gagging her :-( Im not sure about letting her drink water....I keep hearing so that I shouldnt at her age....Im not sure what
    Kaye924

Comment by Kaye924 (original poster) at 4:13 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• It isn't always thrush. :) My baby boy has it too. And he just went to the doctor so I know it isn't thrush with him. Good luck with the tounge and gum cleaner! :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 6:00 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I tried the bibs and cloths, I also tried the tounge brush and water with my younger daughter and she kept it there no matter what. :) So no worries if it won't come off! :) She's perfectly fine!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 6:01 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Thanks ladies!
    Kaye924

Comment by Kaye924 (original poster) at 6:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• also you could put a latex glove on and dip your finger in water then gently wipe her tongue.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 12:01 PM on Dec. 17, 2010