to potty train or wait until after she is 2

I have had this book for awhile to potty train in three days and i have not had the time to do it because of work and school. but now school is over and i have more time just was wondering. she knows what the potty is and has peed and pooped in it. just not consistent. she is aware of when she wants to poop. i am little nervous. this is my first and probably only time i will be potty training.

oh what rewards did you give?

lambdarose

Asked by lambdarose at 4:21 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When I potty trained my kids I used a calander and a sticker system. Every time they went potty they got to put a sticker on the calander and after "X" amount of stickers they got a special treat. Either we would go for ice cream or they have their favorite dinner. If she is showing interestyou might want to jump on it now. The other thing we did is we had a timer and set it for like 20 minutes in the beginning. That way when the timer goes off she knows she has to try going potty.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 4:34 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• She will be able to better understand the concept when she is two. We don't reward my son for using the potty, he knows its just something your supposed to do. We tell him good job, but he doesn't get any special kind of treats. That way if we are out he doesn't expect something for going.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 4:23 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• i didn't give any rewards. my daughter was poop trained before she was 18 months old. she was fully potty trained by the time she was almost 2.5
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 4:25 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• your reward is lots and lots of praise. My daughter was potty trained at 10 months.
    nwaskie

Answer by nwaskie at 4:26 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• with my oldest i waited til after she was 2. i tried before then and we got nowhere. she understood better at two. my middle just turned 2, i have tried and she doesn't get it yet, so ill wait another month and try again.

i gave my oldest m&m's everytime she went while she was training. she never expected them when we went somewhere. she's 4 now and doesn't expect m&m's everytime she goes. it was only during the training process.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:43 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• oh, and 1 m&m for a number 1 and two for a number two. lol
    tnm786

• i like the m &m that is one of the moms told me one time. the little ones. i am so afraid she will choke. i am afraid that i wait until after 2 i wont have the time to really commit to it like i do now. i will see wht happens after the holidays. i am thinking second week of january. she will be nearly 22months.
    lambdarose

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 5:12 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• We do elimination communication which is a method of normalizing the potty. My DD has been placed on the potty since 3 months. It is not a rigid system of rules. It is about knowing that the baby ate 15 minutes ago and needs to pee so put her on the potty. sometimes we catch it, sometimes we miss.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:51 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• ecodani how old is your DD now?
    lambdarose

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 5:58 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• My daughter was recently potty trained she is 3, it was a frustrating exercise when I intially started because she wasn't ready. I kept talking to her about it and encouraging her and she just started asking to go to potty, she rarely wets the bed too. My son is soon 2 and he is learning from her and I will take the same approach, they will do when they are ready, less stress for me.
    leegirl_jm

Answer by leegirl_jm at 6:17 PM on Dec. 15, 2010