Do your kids go to a daycare center or one run in a home? If you have experience with both, which did you like best or dislike and why?

wildflowers25

Asked by wildflowers25 at 4:31 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• This is a personal preference.
    I use a center, and I like the fact that I never have to worry about a teacher being sick. I like that my kids are around lots of kids all different ages, and all those different ages have seperate age appropriate activities. I like that there is more than one "babysitter" so that they could help each other and keep an eye on each other. For example, one day my 18 month old was being a witch (she missed her nap) After many time outs, the teacher was just fed up. She was able to hand her off to another teacher and take a break from her, allowing her to calm down and deal with it better.
    My center does a preschool class (really, all ages do classes though) and also before and after school care with the bus stopping at the center. They also ride the bus from the school to the center, which is more than even a parent could do.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 4:36 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I had my son in both (at different times, of course). I preferred the in-home daycare. He got more attention because my sitter only watched 3 children with the help of her adult daughter. The time that he was in a daycare center was absolutely awful-he hated it. He started at at the in-home daycare at 9 weeks old and was there until the age of 2; I then had to switch over to the daycare center and the transition was very difficult for him (his basic needs were met but it reminded me of a factory-the providers seemed to only be going through the motions). After a few months, my mom ended up watching him until I left full-time work and could stay home myself.
    Anonymous

• My 2 year old DD has been at an in-home daycare since she was 7 months old. What I like about it, especially when she was much younger, is that she has a bond with the care provider since it is the same woman she is with everyday. I feel my DD is very comfortable there and I know she gets hugs and kisses for her boo-boos and someone listens to her little stories, etc. I know there is only the woman and her family who have access to my child throughout the day and there is no turn over of new employees like there could be in a center, and less exposure to other children's germs, etc. I would list the draw backs as the fact that there are only a few kids there, at this time it is usually my DD and one or two other kids, so she doesn't have as many playmates as she would at a center, and if my provider is sick or has to close for some reason then I have to find a back up on my own whereas a center would be open regardless.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 5:04 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• my ds has been in both. I preferred a home provider when he was an infant, I wanted him to have carpet to crawl on, a designated room for napping vs napping in a big space and a lower ratio. He moved to a center for preschool. I actually liked the home provider better, I found the communication in the center much more difficult because you have teachers, assistant teachers, directors, assistant directors etc.... it is easy for things to get lost in translation
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 5:25 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• There is good things about both. So which every one you prefer, They have more kids to interact with in a daycare center, but they get more one on one in a home daycare. And they are not around as many sick kids in the home daycare. Pick the one that you like the best, check them out and decide for yourself.
    Alta2008

Answer by Alta2008 at 8:27 PM on Dec. 16, 2010