Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you give your son's SS# to his gma?

I'm not with the father of my baby, and we're currently getting custody worked out through my lawyer. Right now he has nothing to do with his son by his own choice. His mother asked me for our son's SS# so she can open a savings account for him. Would you give it to her? She lives in another state, but comes to visit once a month. I get along with her just fine, but I feel that I'm naive and I don't want myself or my son getting screwed over.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (15)
  • I wouldnt give it to anyone. My son's doctors office doesn't even have his.

    Answer by Misteh at 4:34 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

  • nope!! never!!

    Answer by proudmommy690 at 4:34 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

  • she doesnt need his social to do that, and if she wants to have a savings for him you can open one up and she can donate. I would never give my sons social to anyone unless absolutely necessary. My mom even gives my son health care and she didn't need his social for that.

    Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:35 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

  • I woudnt....I would just tell here that you dont feel comfortable with doing that over the phone or through email but when she comes down you will be more then happy to go with her to fill everything out for her to set up the account for him.

    Answer by Shelii at 4:35 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

  • If you do not trust her then you open an account and tell her she can make deposits into it if she wishes. With all the horror stories of identity theft circulating... I would be cautious.

    Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:35 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

  • nope

    Answer by tnm786 at 4:38 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

  • Since you have a lawyer for the custody issue I would check with him and see what he advises. Ordinarily I wouldn't think this would be an issue but he might suggest it is best to wait for the custody issues to be settled. Or you could offer to go with her to set up the account, that way you can give his soc number directly to the person setting up the account and Grandma doesn't need to know it. Just explain to her that it isn't that you don't trust her but that you are following your lawyers orders at this time.

    Answer by MaryMW at 4:44 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

  • You're all right. So..... how do I say I changed my mind since I told her I'd give it to her... stupid me...

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:47 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

  • I would like to think that she is just trying to help you out and do what is best for your son. If you really aren't comfortable giving it to her ask her if you can open up the account where you are. If she still insists then I would ask the laywer if he can set the account up for you. That way it is in your name and his name and she can just make deposits to the account.

    Good Luck!

    Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 4:48 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

  • Just say you mentioned it to your attorney and he said not to do it with the custody case going on.

    Answer by Taviesmommy at 4:49 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.