if you were once an avid smoker, how did you quit? i need some advice on how to quit!

this is going to be mine & hubby's new years resolution. though it seems it would be easier for me with hubby quitting along with me, it won't be. hubby can stop right now if he wanted to, he's not as addicted as i am nor does he smoke as much as i do. i smoke a little less than a pack a day.

the thing is i dont really want to quit. but i know i need to for my children. i want to be around for them as long as possible, and i know quitting will up my chances of that. i actually enjoy smoking though, and its also partly a social thing for me. nearly all of my friends and my parents smoke, when im around them we smoke together while we chit-chat. and also, its how i wake up in the morning. my morning routine consists of making a cup of coffee, going outside and having a cigarette before i do anything at all. i get up early before anyone else to ensure this, those few moments are how i get my daily peace. i have atleast 4 within the first hour and a half im awake. i really dont know how im going to "re-train" myself to not have those morning cigarettes.

after having each of my kids, i told myself id quit but i always started back up. now i know i need to get serious about it. ive been smoking for about 8 years.

so if you smoked for a long period of time and havent touched one in a while, how did you overcome those first few weeks of cravings? i dont want to try and gum, patches or pills. i want to go "all natural" lol

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 4:34 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Health

• I LOVED smoking.. It was my stress reliever and my husband was never a smoker and always on my ass about it.. when I quit, i didn't want to either but knew I had to after my husband got skin cancer and with cancer running so bad in his family, I couldn't leave my son alone.. I quit while pregnant but started during the 4th month of our sons colic.. I couldn't take it anymore.. anyway, the month before he turned 2.. which was 2 months after my husbands skin cancer surgery, I just quit.. I have tried it all, gums, and patches and hypnotism, and candy and gum eating.. I am a hard core addict also, my sister is like your husband, can smoke, then doesnt.. quits whenever she feels like it.. I just did it cold turkey and just DID IT... that was 14 months ago.It was not easy.. I wish I had an easy cure for you but it is just plain old hard.. I still talk myself out of buying them on a weekly basis.. good luck mommy! you can do it
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:44 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I bought a bag of dum dums and sucked on one every time i wanted a cigarette, i was done in a week
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 4:37 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Have you ever heard "can't help someone who can't help themselves"? Well, because you enjoy smoking quitting will not be a option for you. I smoked 3 packs a day, the day my children would not kiss or hug me because I smelled was the last day of my smoking habit and chewed A LOT of sugarless gum. I took up walking an lost 56 lbs. this has been since Feb. 2010 still smoke free and maintaining my weight it was not easy but I am, and feel healthier and believe it or not food takes on a whole new taste and smells are more vibarant and get this I can not stand the smell of cigarettes. So good luck to you.
    nwaskie

Answer by nwaskie at 4:42 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• If there are people smoking around you, it will be especially difficult for you to quit. If my husband hadn't quit the same time I did, I don't think I could have done it.

Be sure you increase your multi vitamins, it really does help. Find something to do with your hands instead of smoking -- and avoid making this any kind of eating, unless you WANT to gain weight.

If it's easier to wean yourself, start with dropping 1 regular/daily cig a week - like your phone cig, or bathroom cig.

Sometimes visual queues (with a dose of guilt) are helpful: Every time you blow out a puff of smoke, imagine you are blowing it into your baby's face. If you smoke inside your home, this is only a short step from the truth of the situation. Picture the chemicals in the smoke (the tars and carcinogens) traveling through those tiny little pink lungs, and being carried throughout that sweet, innocent, little body. Then think: I DID THAT.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 5:03 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I thought about how it was going to kill me and make my family suffer. I even imagined how much time it would have me in the hospital. All the morbid stuff

http://ajhpcontents.org/doi/full/10.4278/ajhp.25.2.iv

Read that article.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:05 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Determination, motivation, and support will be your three biggest factors in helping you quit. Have you thought about cutting down?

Almost six years ago, I had to quit for six weeks due to an upcoming surgery. I scheduled my smoking. If I was busy during one of my scheduled cigarettes, I'd force myself to make it to the next scheduled cigarette. When you become comfortable with that, take out a cigarette. As you become comfortable, take out another one until you're done.

I was smoking a pack-and-a-half a day. I cut down to five cigarettes a day when I had to quit. I did exactly what I just mentioned and was able to be nicotine free by the time my surgery date rolled around. I wasn't ready to quit, but I did it; but, it was because of the fact that I wasn't ready that I started up again and I still smoke.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:24 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My husband and I used Chantix for 45 days. I think it is prescribed for much longer. We didn't have any side effects but some people have mild to severe.
    We decided it was time to quit (probably decided that over a million times). It is possible to do quit even if you still love to smoke and really don't want to, it just make it a little harder. I struggled alot, but as I counted down 1 day, 5 days, 30 days, etc the urge lessened. (not sure if it every goes away completely, but you don't want to quit all over again). It really got easier with time. Try to believe that because at first I might not feel that way.
    1. declare your intention
    2. eliminate your trigger places/times (after a meal, socially, etc)
    2. cut down but set a date
    3. don't cheat, not even a drag
    4. find something to do with your hands (we used mints but we ended up gaining 20lb each)
    Read posts to find out better ways to avoid over eating
    Good Luck
    jellybean35

Answer by jellybean35 at 10:04 AM on Dec. 16, 2010