midwife or ob?

Okay this is my first pregnancy and I am wondering if I should go with a midwife or an ob. I have heard wonderful things about midwives but I just want to hear other peoples perceptions on them.

jjswife

Asked by jjswife at 4:48 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had a midwife. She seemed to care more about me than the OB. He was always shuffling me out the door ASAP

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:50 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Midwife! I've done it both ways, but I will never go back to an OB for anything regarding a baby or pregnancy unless it is absolutely necessary.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 4:51 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Unless you have medical complications, I would always pick a midwife. I had an OB for my first and a midwife for the other two. My midwife listened to me and let my labor progress naturally. My OB pushed for his own convenience and I had a less than satisfying birth experience that time.

Good luck!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:52 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I definately prefer midwives. There are a lot of misconceptions out there about midwives.

The TRUTHS are:

-Midwives are equipped and trained to handle emergencies.

-CNMs can deliver in hospitals, birthing centers, and homes.

-Midwives typically have BETTER outcomes than doctors in normal risk women

-Unlike most doctors midwives can safely handle breech delivers without surgery

There are SO many benefits of having a midwife over a doctor. I would never choose a doctor if I had the option of a midwife.

miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 4:54 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Midwife all the way!! i feel that they care more about wat u want!! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 4:55 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• midwife. they listen to you and care about what you want
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 4:55 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• midwives care more about you and the baby. ob's care more about their paycheck. ive had both, my last i was seen by an ob. he was a nice guy and all, but the midwive i had for my first two pregnancies felt more to me like a friend and a source of support. the ob would rush thru his questions and hurry me out. the midwife took her time to answer my questions and fully explain her own. they will also work with you more as far as birthing plans.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:56 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• – collapse
    There is not a snowball's chance in hell that I'd have a midwife. If there are any complications, it could be mortal for both you and the baby. JMO.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:59 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• jeanclaudia....

Midwives can handle complications. Most complications happen as a result of medical intervention to begin with. Our c-section rate is currently 3 times what the WHO says it should be because of the amount of medical intervention.

And once again...Midwives have BETTER outcomes than OBGYNs.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 5:04 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Midwife.

OBs are special surgeons. They are only needed for c sections.

A midwife can handle everything concerning a vaginal birth.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:43 PM on Dec. 15, 2010