Can birth control pills cause a miscarriage if you are taking them during the time your baby was concieve

If you were taking the pill during the time your baby was concieve do you think it will cause a miscarriage or birth defects to the growing fetus any one had this experience happen to them any advice is welcome

momwa6

Asked by momwa6 at 12:04 PM on Jul. 6, 2008 in Pregnancy

• That is what the pill essentially does. There's a common misconception out there that the pill stops you from ovulating, but this is false. ( read the packet and it will tell you in technical terms what I'm about to) The pill does not allow your body to build up a sufficient lining of the uterus to sustain life, but it DOES NOT stop you from ovulating nor does it stop the egg from being fertilized. It is not 100% effective which is why you can still get pregnant while using the pill. With this being said it is possible that you have had several Miscarriages with no knowledge of them due to the pill.
    misty1_sd

Answer by misty1_sd at 1:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I've heard of women getting pregnant on the pill or on depo. The ones I knew personally had healthy babies. I don't know about the ones I only heard of.

The pill is supposed to stop you from ovulating. Sometimes it doesn't work. But I don't think it would cause you to miscarriage or harm the baby. I could be wrong though. If you have concerns I would talk to a medical professional.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 12:08 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Make sure your doctor knows that you were on the pill at the time. If s/he says everything is fine, then go with that. Worrying about it won't do either of you any good. Every body is different, only your doctor can tell you what's going on with YOU. Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:43 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I got pregnant with my first born while on the pill....He's perfectly healthy and almost 10 years old now...
    love_my_boys

Answer by love_my_boys at 5:07 PM on Jul. 6, 2008