Coffee?

Ok so what's the real deal with being pregnant and drinking coffee? I've read in some books its OKAY if its not more than a certain amount per day. I always have my medium iced coffee every morning, but I don't drink anymore during the day. I've been reading so many conflicting write ups on coffee and its annoying. Some say its fine, one book said in the first trimester it can higher the chances of miscarriage (but it hasn't been 100% proven). So any insight and comments (I'm not preg yet but I am curious!!!)???

BLoNdIe121679

Asked by BLoNdIe121679 at 10:27 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Decaffe is the only way to go!
    Anonymous

• If you're not a heavy coffee drinker (more than 3 cups per day) you should be perfectly fine! The best guideline is to stay under 200mg of caffeine every day...which is about 2 8-oz cups, depending how strong the brew is. If you are really worried about it, cut back as much as you can during the first trimester...once you've made the second-trimester mark, the risk of miscarriage drops drastically. Oh and as a general recommendation, cutting back on caffeine is a good idea while you're trying to conceive.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 10:36 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• i always had my caramel explosion double shot every dybut oncei got pregnant i switched to decaf *JUST TO BE SAFE*
    Kamarias_mommy

Answer by Kamarias_mommy at 10:41 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• If you're not going crazy without it, I would give it up. I just had my first cup of coffee in almost a year (I gave it up right before I got pregnant). I had thought I wouldn't be able to function without it but it was remarkably easy when I thought about the little being inside me.

As far as how much you can have, there is no good guideline, as coffee is not generalized, you know? Home brew is typically much weaker than what you'd get in a coffee shop, and a latte is not the same as straight black. If you just want it for the flavor, go decaf. If you need the energy boost, cut back as much as you can and see if you can find something else healthy to take it's place. Supposedly apple juice can have a similar benefit, without the dangerous side effects. Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 10:43 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Personally, I think there's too much caution about everything considering pregnancy. I had coffee while I was pregnant, but I've never been a heavy coffee drinker either. My personal belief is that so many women have done so many other really harmful things that didn't cause any (or few) problems in the end. I would cut back if you are a heavy coffee drinker, but otherwise I'm sure you're fine. If you're worried about it, then cut back or cut it out. It's about your comfort level of the risks you take.
    Anonymous

• 200 mg/day equals about 5 cans of Pepsi. I looked at my can as i was reading it. Doesn't that seem like alot.
    Anonymous

• Here ya go :) http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/caffeine.html

I LOOOVE COFFEE, but ever since this pregnancy, I can't drink it, as the lil one inside doesn't seem to care for it too much LOL!
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 11:36 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Lol I drunk my occasional iced moca frappicionos.. She seems fine too me. They used to be just a wee bit hyper in the tummy. But for that case, we should cut all the caffeine we drink in sodas, but hey Im prego and if you get between me and my dr pepper we will have issues. And I still drink my frappicinos. lol . I just dont go nutso with it.
    MommaKee

Answer by MommaKee at 12:02 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Mt. Dew IS my coffee! lol.....

I allow myself 1 can a day and thats all. Normally I would drink it all throughout the day if I wasn't preggo.
    mommy_bink

Answer by mommy_bink at 12:10 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Well when I don't have my cup of coffee in the morning for two or more days I'll get hit with a migraine that is so bad I can't get out of bed. Its happened before and it wasn't pretty. Ever since I quit smoking my coffee has been my salvation! I also take my coffee light and sweet so its no where near black. Of course I'll ask my Dr about it, but I always thought that completely changing your normal routine might make your body go MORE nuts than it already is (while pregnant). Doesn't it have enough going on??? I would want some sense of normality.

BLoNdIe121679

Answer by BLoNdIe121679 at 7:42 AM on Nov. 8, 2008