Why do people think they're entitled to get something for free?

I've seen sooo many posts on here for mom's that want to work at home. "I want to work at home, but not pay anything in to get started?"

Yeah, I'd like to stay home and work too, but 95% of people can't do that. If they do, it's usually, because they've invested a little money to start some home business, or they're not making enough to really live off of anyway.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• Not totally true. A good friend of mine started an online business for free as a travel agent. She got really into it & actually makes good money. She also gets free offers at hotels all the time. It was time consuming for her at the beginning, but it paid off.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:54 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• ANYONE can work at home for free! Home jobs are ALWAYS free, and there are lots of them out there. Now, you're right about one thing, you can't open a business for nothing because you either need to buy in to an existing company or purchase product or supplies to start your own. But there is no reason that if someone wants to work from home, and do it for "free" that they can't. What I don't understand is why so many people seem to think it's not possible.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:56 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I don't think it's about getting something free. I just don't think many of us trust "work-at-home" opportunities that require you to pay something. Because most of them are gimmicks. You don't have to pay for a job interview. When they ask for a down payment on a stay-at-home job opportunity, you just assume that's how they're making their money.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 4:58 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• A lot of these posts are because the women want to stay at home with their kids though. Completely understandable, but if you're "working" for a real business you probably shouldn't have too many distractions or kids yelling in the background as your making business calls, etc. Glad it worked out for your friend, but in my opinion, most people who are asking these questions are, because they're being lazy and don't want to go get real jobs.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:58 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Lazy? Really? If they were lazy they wouldnt even be asking about work-at-home stuff! Maybe they enjoy staying home & taking care of their children but wish to have a little extra income. Maybe working outside the home is not possible. Have you priced daycare lately? Some might not be able to get a job that would make enough to pay the daycare & still have anything much left over. I know in our case when I figured it up I found I would be bringing in about $20 a week after factoring in day care & gas money. What good would that do me to be gone that long & only see $20 while my kids sit in day care all day?
    Anonymous

• I think that that particular comment is generally coming from someone that is looking for a quick income with one of those "businesses" that target SAHMs to begin with. I checked into many of them and no way would I pay to "join." There are plenty of companies out there that hire people to work from home and they are "real" jobs. You have to apply, interview, prove yourself worthy. Not just send in a check for some easy start up kit. If you really want to be in charge of your work you have to start something of your own and that isn't free. I started a daycare several years ago and even having 99% of what I'd need to begin with there were still start up costs. There are costs every month. :)
    Anonymous

• My friend is a transcriptionist & works from home. They pay her. She didnt pay them to "start" anything.
    Anonymous

• That is also an educated position. Not anyone can just walk in and be a transcriptionist.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:20 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Seems like your just mad cause you have to work.
    Anonymous

• I work from home, but I agree it is not as easy as it seems. I have worked for this company for 13 years and they just sent me home to work last year. I cannot have my kids here (too many distractions) until they are older. I have a production quota and a quality expectation to meet. There are a lot of rules around it, but it does work for me.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 5:26 PM on Dec. 15, 2010