What would you do?

My husband gets a call from our daughter's school saying a girl just cut a two inch chunk of hair off my daughter's head. We have countless other problems with this school and we have decided she is simply not going back. But what would you do if someone cut your kids hair at school?

No_Difference

Asked by No_Difference at 5:01 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in

• I think it depends on how old the child is. Kindergarten.. it is still questionable that they know it is wrong. Middle school, I would totally be angry and want to know what happened to the other child, what kind of punishment she received.

Since you say there are other problems, I would just take her out like you mentioned.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:05 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• What did the school do? That should be a suspension as it is definitely an assault. Also, that child's parents owe you money for a decent haircut!
    Verrine

Answer by Verrine at 5:05 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• You've already decided to remove your daughter from school. Regarding what to do about the hair-cutting incident? Let it go. The school is aware, they are addressing it, they notified you. It's being handled and you've made your decision. It's over and done with, and it's just hair. It'll grow back.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:06 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• it may be just hair and may grow back, but it was HER hair and not there for aNYONE else to touch, let alone destroy! Age depends a lot on what id do.. & also depends on what the school did to base my what would i do off of. good luck!
    mohme2three

Answer by mohme2three at 5:08 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I would be asking why no one stopped it
    destineemommy

Answer by destineemommy at 5:08 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Wow...that stinks! Are you pulling your daughter from the school all together? Do you have a back up plan ready yet? Another school, cyber school, home schooling? About the hair, I personally probably wouldn't do anything...BUT if you are more assertive than me, maybe you could call the parent and ask that they pay for your daughter to go get her hair cut in order to fix the chunk that was cut out. I hope that child was disciplined by the school and at home. If my child did something like that I would contact you directly and offer to pay for a new haircut. I know that doesn't really fix what happened but I would let the other parent know just how sorry I was and make sure you knew that my child was getting punished!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 5:09 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I agree, it's just hair. Not a big deal. I wouldn't be pulling a child from school over a hair-cutting incident.
    I'd be interested in finding out if my child provoked that in some way. If not, I'd be interested in what is being done about the fact that this child made this choice. That's it. It IS just hair and it WILL grow back. "owes you for a decent haircut" and "assault" . Talk about overreacting - and if the parent is overreacting, the child will be overreacting too. I'd be far more interested in making sure my own child learned to handle situations in a good way than in anything else.
    ihatetocook

Answer by ihatetocook at 5:11 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I'd be asking for details, how it happened, what was happening, and what's being done to follow up with the other family and what punishment is being given to the hair-cutter. That's it. There are so many things that are far more important. In the overall scheme of things, this is really insignificant.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 5:17 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I would hope that the other parent offered to pay for a haircut, it would be a nice thing to do. If they don't, they don't. This sort of thing happens, kids make mistakes, they make bad choices. I would also hope that the other parent punishes their child and I'd be asking if the school is punishing the child too. But like a PP said, I'd be more worried about my own kid. I wouldn't want to teach either of my girls that they have to be drama queens when things happen that they don't like, I'd rather teach them to be kind and forgiving. It's hair, it's not destroyed, it grows back. There is nothing to make a big deal over here.
    snivic

Answer by snivic at 5:26 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Sorry I had a billion phone calls to make so answering back to questions:
    She is in first grade. The teacher did say there was no reason for scissors to be out since they were writting stories so this was thoroughly thought out. And no my daughter didn't provoke it from what I got out of my husband who was half asleep since the school for w/e reason won't call my phone (one of the issues)
    The school won't tell me what is going on with the other girl (privacy policy) & I believe this is the same girl that has been picking on her all year long (another issue)
    No one has contacted me or my husband to my knowledge (I won't know entirely until he gets home tomorrow) but as of right now, I'm the one paying for a new hair cut. Even tho it will grow back Christmas is right around the corner, I don't need everyone making a big deal about it which will stress her out more.
    No_Difference

Comment by No_Difference (original poster) at 9:10 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

Next question in
what do you think of online colleges?

Next question overall (Health)
2 week period? adult content