Has anyone had similar feelings with the birth of their second child?

I am pregnant approx 7 mo's with my 2nd child, and instead of being excited at this point, like I should be, I simply feel scared and overwhelmed. I feel like I am cheating my first child out of attention, and in some weird sense, I feel slight resentment against my second child for that. Is this usual? I have no one that I can talk to about this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Absolutely felt like that. Went on to have a third and a fourth. It is a bit overwhelming at first, but I promise you will adjust. You can always have special days out with your first child to ease the adjustment for them. My hubby took our daughter to the park while I stayed with the baby. Then the next day I took her out to a movie while daddy stayed home. Eventually we all went out together and it was fun. Feel free to PM if you just want to talk. I've been there too. Hugs!!
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:25 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• it is normal. i felt the same way. but once the new baby gets here it will be different. the first child will probably be interested in the new baby and you probably will forget all about the way you feel now. When you have the new one you will do stuff together and it will hopefully make you happy. So dont worry all will be well. it is scary thinking of having more than one. my son was 11.5 months old when my dd was born. they are almost 5 and 6 and i love having both of them. i couldnt imagine life with only one. it will be great.
    bubblebean

Answer by bubblebean at 10:43 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Talk to your doctor about it. My co-worker had the same problem with her 3rd child and it was pregnancy-related. She also experienced post-partum blues so, I did not see her for a while. She was finally okay when the baby was a few months old.
    Avon_Calling

Answer by Avon_Calling at 11:08 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I DNDNT FEEL LIKE THAT TILL AFT MY 2ND WAS BORN AND I HAD THE BABY BLUES REALLY BAD I CRIED ALL THE TIME CUZ I FELT LIKE I WSNT GIVING MY 1ST CHILD THE ATTENTION SHE WAS USED 2 F=GETTING AND I FELT B AD FOR MY 2ND CHILD CUZ I FELT LIKE SHE DNDNT GET THE ATTENTION FRM ME THAT MY 1ST ONE GOT WHEN SHE WAS BORN AND IF IT GOES ON FOR MORE THAN A WEEK AFT THE BABY IS BORN U SHUD TLK TO UR DOC I NVR DID AND IT TOOK ME A WHILE TO GET BACK 2 NORMAL I THINK I WAS DEPRESSED IT WAS REALLY HARD I LOVE BOTH MY GIRLS JST THE SAME BUT I HAD A HARD TIME MAKING SURE THEY BOTH KNEW I LOVED THEM THE SAME I WAS ALWAYS FEELING GUILTY I KNOW EXACTLY HOW U FEEL
    Anonymous

• I did, I thought that I wouldn't love her the same as the first child, that I would accidently envy my first child more than my second, because my first one was planned and the second one was an oops or shall we say a suprise. But once she way born I was ok, I seen it was actually possible to love them both that muchhh, at first the first couple of weeks it was unusual, but I was letting my first baby know that I was having the second baby and she used to talk to my belly and she loved her and knew she was coming and now that is her baby and she loves her too death. Good luck
    MommaKee

Answer by MommaKee at 11:59 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I felt that way with my second child. My first was a boy and my second was a girl. I think your hormones is mostly what your feeling. When you have your baby you will see that you have more love inside you.. You will find that you don't love one child more, but differently for each child is different. You love them because they are different people. You can't image how much love you have until you experience it. Don't worry about it too much.. It will just happen.. Good luck!!
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 9:21 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• It's okay to feel all the many things you are feelings. My son had just turned one when I found out I was preggo again and I felt bad for him, but I was wrong I gave him a best friend a buddy for life those 2 love each other so much. You will see too, sibblings have a bond no toy can or time with you can measure up to it.
    CarrienKansas

Answer by CarrienKansas at 10:14 AM on Nov. 8, 2008