Worried about 4 year old son.

My 4 year old has been potty trained for a year, and ever since we moved he has been pooping and wiping his butt on the carpet!!! I don't know what to do. He knows he will get in trouble but he does it again anyway. So much has changed for him in a short time, and I am very worried about him.

amyisgoingcrazy

Asked by amyisgoingcrazy at 10:39 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Kids' Health

• He is having a hard time adjusting and is telling you the only way he can. He doesn't have words for those feelings yet. Regression (behaving like a younger child) is very normal for a child feeling threatened or insecure (or both) in difficult surroundings or situations.

Tell your pediatrician. Pediatricians are a fountain of information (not just vaccinations!) and advise.

Good luck
    LeftBrainy

Answer by LeftBrainy at 10:42 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I second what leftbrainy said. He is showing stress.
    Avon_Calling

Answer by Avon_Calling at 11:04 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I agree. It took me forever to potty train my 3yr old because we moved and brought a new baby in the house all within a month's time. Kids really don't know how to deal with stress so they often regress. I just put more emphasis on his positive behaviors and eventually, he got back on track.
    lilmomma4

Answer by lilmomma4 at 11:19 PM on Nov. 7, 2008