Just wondering...

I was reading in my Humanities book about early Islamic art, and they have a small section comparing the Muslim faith to Christians. In this section it says that Muslims revere Jesus as a great prophet, which I knew that. But, it says that Christians worship Jesus as God. Now I am not a believer, but was raised Catholic, and have been to a few different churches, and I was always under the impression that "God" and "Jesus" were two different "people". That "Jesus" was the son of "God". Am I right, or is my book right? I'm not meaning to upset or offend anyone, I just want to know. Thanks in advance for you answers!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• The Bible makes it clear that Father, Son (Jesus), and Holy Spirit are three distinct persons.
    That is, "Father," "Son," and "Holy Spirit" are NOT just three different names for the same person.

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 10:54 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• The best way I've had the Trinity explained to me is that it is like you-- you are a wife, mother, daughter, friend, etc. All different roles, but still all one person. Jesus, God, and the Holy Spirit are all one!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 11:02 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I'm going to go in direct conflict with the above poster and say that the Bible is very clear that they are all three one.

Kind of like you can be a Mother, Sister, and Daughter all at one time. Doesn't make you three different people - just three different branches of the same person.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:03 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• See this is one of the reason's I am not a believer. It's all so confusing and contradicting. If "Jesus is the son of "God" how is it all one person??
    Anonymous

• yes they are one in the trinity, father, son holy ghost, but when talking to them or having a relationship with them jesus makes it very clear in the NT that the only way to the father is through the son and one does not know the son he does not know the father. We must establish a relationship with God's son to ever know God. So in that sense yes they are different people but As one in the trinity
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 11:33 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• And what is the trinity???
    Anonymous

• "We believe in the TRINITY (1 John 5:7). One means Unity. It is not referring to a number nor to a position. They are God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost. All of the Three are supreme. We accept the Hebrew rendering of God as ELOAH in the singular, and ELOHIM in the plural.
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 11:41 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• So the question I'm trying to get an answer to is: How is "Jesus the son of "God" if it is all one being?
    Anonymous

• yes jesus and god are to different beings in the christian faith. it varies in others. the holy ghost is one being, god is heavenly father and jesus is his son. in our religion he's not ever one being, but always separate beings as i stated.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:09 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• This is difficult one to simply:
    God the Father: Ephes. 4:6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.
    Jesus Christ: John 3:16 The only begotten, unique Son. The sacrifice for our sins. Someone had to settle the debt that mankind owed. However, we read on numerous occasions Jesus saying I and My Father are One; You see Me, you see the Father. Look also in John 1:1.
    The Holy Spirit: When Jesus ascended back to heaven..He didn't leave us comfortless.. He left a comforter...The Holy Spirit..Who lives in every believer. The Holy Spirit is the person of God Himself working in our lives, and worthy of our attention, worship and obedience!

Each Person of the trinity has a separate function, not a separate essence.
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 12:11 AM on Nov. 8, 2008