Do you get copies of your children's credit reports every year?

Since my kids have been born I've always gotten the free credit report for them every year (and of course for myself). Now, there have never been any issues with them, but I have known more than one person who's child had their identity stolen or who had their SSN used when they were a child and ended up with issues later on because of it. So I always did this, but I'm shocked to see how many parents don't.

Do you? Why or Why not?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 5:11 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• I never even thought about it. Thanks for the info though. I think I will start doing a report on them from now on. Do you go through a website? If so, which one?
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 5:14 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I never gotten my children's credit reports--just ours, but I we get theirs and our annual SS reports. Interesting, I never thought about getting their credit reports--because they are so young---but I think I just might! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:15 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• No I don't. Never even heard/thought of it.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 5:22 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I usually go through whatever site I can find that will give them to us for free. Over the last few years it's been different sites because so many times they offer them for free for a short period and then they stop, or they want you to buy something. So I just make sure I read all the fine print before I get them.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 5:47 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• www.annualcreditreport.com is always free for one report from each of the three major reporting agencies each year (per SS#)

To answer your question though, I never have pulled them for my kids, but now I think I will.
    Just to let anyone know though, if you use the above site and it says something like "there is a problem with pulling the report for that SS#" it's because there is NO credit history to pull. My dad has never had credit, but he wanted me to pull his report to see if there was any activity that he was unaware of, and that's what it said.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 5:54 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• No I haven't.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 6:07 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I hadn't thought about doing that, but it is a good idea. I have a couple of friends who had to deal with having their identities stolen when they were younger and now have crap on their credit report from it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 6:46 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I have not. I never even thought about it. Thanks for the advice :)
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 8:40 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• We never have. I was under the impression, based on the form, that only the owner of the SSN could do the requesting.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:11 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Omg. I never thought about that.. But maybe I should especially since my sonĀ“s social security card has been lost twice. This is SCARY! Thanks for this post!
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 1:40 PM on Dec. 17, 2010