Oral Care?

I have a 2 week old daughter, and I meet with a nurse practitioner every few weeks (part of some program..). During the last meeting she said I should be wiping my daughters mouth twice a day with a washcloth, but I've never heard this before and the pediatrician hasn't said anything about it. Wondered if anyone else heard of this or does it? Do you think it's really that important?

ToxikSedation

Asked by ToxikSedation at 10:49 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• never heard of it...
    Anonymous

• When my son was about 4 months old he had RSV and was taking breathing treatments and they told me to wipe his gums after every treatment, but i have never heard in general to do that. But I dont think it would hurt anything.
    jasesmommy0529

Answer by jasesmommy0529 at 10:53 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Do it if you have time to. If you don't, it's okay. It's just to clean off the gums. Like brushing your teeth. I didn't do it, but I started brushing my son's teeth as soon as he got them.
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 10:53 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I heard about it like 5 years ago when I worked with infants I am really surprised that the pediatricians are not recommending it. They found that some babies teeth grow in already with bottle rot making them soft, so suggest wiping the gums to keep them clean, and develop good oral health care.
    Anonymous

• Yes it's important to clean your newborns mouth couple times a day if not, the milk she's consuming will build up in and around her mouth and develop something call thrash *don't remember how to spell it*. It's a trashy kind of look, tried up milk, in a babys mouth that gets hard to clean up if left for a period of time because your baby isn't consuming water to wash away the left over milk. The reason the pediatricion probably don't say anything to you about it is because it's oral care, a person should know how to take care of a childs mouth. They don't drink water, as yet, and they don't brush there teeth or anything like that so you have to take care of their mouth till then.
    MyBlessin

Answer by MyBlessin at 10:57 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• My pediatrician never said anything about this. I did start cleaning their teeth with a baby toothcleaner when they got them.
    lilmomma4

Answer by lilmomma4 at 11:11 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• My pedi said not to worry about it until they were 3 months old, so that's when I started cleaning out my daughter's mouth.
    springtimemomma

Answer by springtimemomma at 9:39 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Mine never said anything about it, but i started to do it after my son would spit up and after baby food. Mainly cause the baby food smile is sooo gross! lol
    LadyUsagi

Answer by LadyUsagi at 11:06 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I think it's recommended that young just to establish a good habit.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:36 PM on Nov. 8, 2008