How Can I get a Car?

Hi... Just looking for some advice. I have terrible credit due to years of "just getting by" and scraping on nickles and dimes. I am now married and we are struggling to get our heads above water. I have 3 beautiful little girls, and no car. It is getting very cold here... 19 degrees this morning. My daughter's school does not offer a school bus because we live less than a mile from the school. I am forced to take her by foot, none the less walk to and from work and have to do basic errands on foot. I have had a few cars in the last few years, and they have run my bank accout dry. I gave up on the last one, and I don't have too much money to put down on a car loan. I am having no luck getting financing. I am looking for any links or advice to help me out. Anything will help. Thank you!

Tessasmom24

Asked by Tessasmom24 at 5:24 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• Not sure what kind of links or help you might be looking for?
    If you are thinking some kind of agency that will "help" you buy a car im not sure those exist.

Your best bet would be to either save up enough to pay cash or maybe wait and use your income tax return?
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 5:26 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• We haven't had a car since my husband was killed by a drunk driver. It's tough (Michigan winter and bitter cold) but we walk where we need to go. If I can save enough money, maybe I'll buy a car. But until then, I'll walk - yes, even in the cold. How to get a car? Well, I'd imagine like anyone else gets a car - work and save up for it.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:49 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I agree with alicinalgonac, it sounds like you're just going to have to work and save up for it.
    Can your daughter get a ride to school with someone near by?
    Can you arrange to have someone take you to the grocery store twice a month? Maybe someone from your church, a good friend, or a neighbor.

We've been car-less before and it's no fun. But it is do able.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 6:04 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• save and buy something just to get you where you need to go otherwise there is no other choice but walking you can try one of those buy here pay here places
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 9:22 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Look on Craigslist for a car you can pay cash for. It probably won't last long, but you can continue to save and replace it in a few months.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:30 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Save up and pay cash.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:05 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I would check the for sale ads in the local paper. From what you tell us, you'd never qualify for a loan.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:08 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I see many lots that say "ANY CREDIT. GUARANTEED APPROVAL." There must be some in your area, check them out.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:39 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• There are some places that will lease you a car if you have a stable job, for people who have bad credit. The difference is that obviously you won´t be leasing a REALLY nice car, but it doesn´t sound like that is what you are looking for, and with those places you HAVE to pay weekly instead of monthly. But I don´t know any places in your area. I know a place that will do that less than a five min walk from my where I live in the States. Good Luck ! I know it is tough without a car. I´ve been there.!
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 1:39 PM on Dec. 17, 2010