Help please!!!

DH and I taught our 3yr old how to count from 1-20 and he did really good he would mess up a few times, but mostly ok. Well about 2months ago I got really sick and was in the hospital so my FIL was watching him for us. And for some reason that makes no sense to me my FIL refuses to say the number 13. So when DS would count my FIL would just skip from 12 to 14. And now so does DS. We have been trying really hard to get him back on track but he will go "...12, 14, 14, 15..." How can I get him back to where he was?

vjoaquin

Asked by vjoaquin at 5:27 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would just keep working with your son.
    AFMF920

Answer by AFMF920 at 5:32 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Does he have any friends his age? Maybe get them together, and getthem counting. Use peer pressure to your advantage! It might just work! =) Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:36 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Keep working w/ him. It's not like he's behind, he will catch on again. And the fact that he can count to 10 at 3, is wonderful!
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 5:37 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• He won't grow up skipping 13, just be patient, it's a phase. If he skipped 13 for the short time you were not there, he'll start adding 13 for the long time you will be there now.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 5:38 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Practice. He'll catch on again, it'll just take practice. Nothing to worry about!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:39 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• He learned from repetition. He unlearned by repetition. Now, you have to reteach with repetition.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:00 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• That sucks. I would be so unhappy with my fil. I don't know the answer, but GL
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 8:12 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• like the others are saying, repeat repeat repeat. your FIL is probably superstious and skips the number 13 because of it, if you keep letting your son know that 13 comes after 12 and before 14, and keep repeating the correct numbers then eventually he'll re-get it again. In the meantime, talk to your FIL and ask him why he skips that number and ask him to help you in teaching your son the correct way to count. It could be that your FIL doesn't know that he's letting his own superstious behavior affect his grandson.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 9:00 PM on Dec. 15, 2010