healthy scratch recipes

Does anyone have any scratch recipes?? I want to start eating healthy and honestly dont have a clue how. I dont know what to buy from the grocery store and I just dont know how that old timers did it. Thanks in advance. Oh yeah I have a 6,7, and 8 year old to please also.

proudmama22

Asked by proudmama22 at 5:45 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Start by not purchasing processed foods. If you can't get fresh veggies, try the frozen. We do a lot of roasting veggies in the oven (cut up, sprinkle with olive oil, season, fresh herbs if you can/dry if you have them and set your oven for 400 or 425). No sauces on your proteins and cut the carbs to under 2 or 3 times a week. Our favorites cauliflower, broccoli, squash, carrots, potatoes, asparagus. You can make any combo.

My kids grew up on oven "fried" chicken - remove the skin off the chicken, dip in egg, then into seasoned bread crumbs. Spray a cookie tray with Pam and after all the chicken is on the tray, spray (lightly) the chicken with Pam. Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes. Easy, quick and if you do the roasted veggies with it, you can just up the oven temp after the first 15 minutes the chicken is cooking.
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 7:51 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• You might want to post this in the food and drink section for more replies.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:00 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Switch to organic foods, whole wheat and double fiber breads and pastas, cook from frozen foods, etc. The closer you get to something being like it was when it came from the ground, the heathier it tends to be...
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 9:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2010