Should i confront my friend?

So i babysat for my friend fora few days. i haven't really spent time with her since she had her little boy. He is 12 months old and his diet consists of probably 90% baby food that is fed to him. I tried to feed him gerber mac and cheese (with mom's permission) and he didn't know what to do with it. he just held it in his mouth. I put some easily dissolving rice puff things on the tray and he couldn't pick them up very well. He also shows no interest in walking. he can't pull himself up on things; he tries but usually just ends up back on his butt. I tried to stand him up and get him to walk along with me while i held his hands, but he won't even put his feet on the ground. I have a baby (if i can still use that word) who is 13 months old and is so far ahead of him. I feel bad talking about her or answering questions she has about/if she does things. Is there cause for concern in his behavior? is there something else going on here? or what? im confused and a bit worried. I don't want to hurt my friends feelings. And i don't know anyone i could ask about this... please help!?

neeterm

Asked by neeterm at 5:56 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Was her baby born early? Sometimes preemies develop a little slower.

The range of normal is so wide. I wouldn't bring it up unless she asks first.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:00 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I wouldn't confront her on this. There is such a wide window of develop among babies, some just do things faster than others.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 6:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Well, I think as long as she is honest with her Ped. during the well baby check ups, they will bring it up to her if there is an issue.. or you could gently ask, So did the doc say anything about why he won't even try to chew or something like that - my son was a huge choker on foods and never really got the whole utensils things til later than most, same with sippy cup - is the baby crawling? sometimes there are late walkers too - my son didn't walk til he was 12 months.. but he went from crawling to walking, only walked along things for like 3 weeks - he didn't like it..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 6:03 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I wouldn't bring it up just yet, he could just be developing more slowly. If you still see this in a year I may bring it up then.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 6:03 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• He was actually a few days late. thanks for your responses :)
    neeterm

Comment by neeterm (original poster) at 6:04 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Does the baby have regular pediatrician visits? I would be concerned too, but if he goes to the doctor's regularly I don't think I'd say anything.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:06 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Don't say anything. He is in the normal range. They will even out and in a few years you won't be able to tell who walked first.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:08 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I know every kid is different and has their own, but i have three kids and even my "late bloomer" could feed himself and such at 12 months, and pick things up with his first finger and thumb. Maybe i'm blowing things out of proportion a bit but i'm concerned.
    neeterm

Comment by neeterm (original poster) at 6:15 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• He probably cant pick up finger foods because maybe she hasnt offered them to him. I would just ask her what he usually eats while with her and then if you want just be like, oh that sounds good, but you know if you offer him this it will help to improve this, blah blah.. You get what Im saying, lol.. Just be like, you know babies this age love to ____.. That way you're offering advice and finding out whats going on without seeming like your accusing her of doing something wrong. I would just continue to work with him while I was watching him and would say something like I mentioned above, but choose your words wisely. GL!!
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 6:34 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Usually the visit to the pediatrician will bring out anything that could be an issue since they have growith charts they use to determine the progression of children and their development. Usually they have a child further tested if they notice something isn't quite right during their regular check ups. That would definitely be something obvious if you were able to spot it by just being with the baby.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 7:31 PM on Dec. 15, 2010