How would you react?

How would you react, if your child calls grandma (mom)? My daughter just asked her grandmother if she could call her mom? What the crap! I don't know how to respond to that. I haven't said anything, yet. By the way, my dd is 5 years old.

sexyfancyface

Asked by sexyfancyface at 6:04 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• She is testing you. Tell her she can't.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:05 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• You go to the grandma and tell her to tell your child "no you call me grandma".

Answer by louise2 at 6:49 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Keep it simple and calmly point out the correct names for everyone.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:10 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I agree, keep it simple and explain that Mom is your name. My children called their babysitter MomToo. At first I was put off, but then I realized it was because they loved her and she loved them. She's five and I'm betting that the very best compliment she can give someone right now is to call them Mom. I also know from experience, when they become teens, you will LOVE to hear them say Mom because I lived through several years of MOTTHHHHHHHHERRRRRRRRR and it does NOT have the same beautiful ring to it as Mom. LOL
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 7:40 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I personally would not react to this. At all. I wouldn't really care. Testing you? No, I don't think so. Most grandchildren feel a unique and special bond with a grandparent. One day you too will have that unique and special bond with your grandchild. Grandmas should be this special person in their lives. Calling a Grandma "Mom" can often be a compliment. It means "I love you so much and feel so good when I am with you I want to give you this title that is reserved for important women in my life." Mom is this awesome female hero in her life. She feels she has two. That is great. You have not been replaced as The Mom. She has two strong women figures. If you make a big deal it will confirm you are jealous and it tells her she can only pick one female at a time to have as a role model. Talk to the Grandma. Have her explain Grandma is a wonderful name and role. What it meant to her to wait all those years

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:29 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• to hear the words Grandma come from her tiny little mouth. You can either have her do it or you can ignore it and move on. She will not be 20 and still calling Grandma by the name Mom. It will end. I would choose the second option. But I do understand if you prefer to have Grandma set her straight. The other option, the third and drama Queen option, is to get all upset, fly off the deep end, and make this huge thing with Grandma about it.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:31 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My kids call their paternal grandmother "Ma"....of course, in Maine, that's like saying "nana"...it was a bit uncomfy for ME at first, but they (my kids) know who Momma is so it doesn't bother me at all any longer.

If it's really bothering you, speak with grandma and ask her to lovingly, but firmly, explain to the child that she's not "mom"...she's "Grandma"....
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 9:05 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I think children think of the word mom as some one they love and trust and care about so wanting to call other people mom is not to hurt your feeling to to show that they love and care for them and trust them mom is a very special name and kids sometimes use for other people.. I would just camly tell her that im mommy and thats mamaw she cant be your mommy bc sh eis my mommy and then leave it at that and dont bring it up any moe id she presist just lightly correct her....saying no thats my mommy you mamaw lol its no big thing really...
    lacyjay1987

Answer by lacyjay1987 at 9:47 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I would just say no, that she is not her mom and she can call her grandma.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:59 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• If you don't want it, be truthful with her and tell her No. Then explain that she is your mom and that the proper name for that is grandma.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:37 AM on Dec. 16, 2010