How much should I charge for at home childcare???

OK so my neighbor asked me if I could watch her 3yo (autistic son) and her 6 month old daughter, from 7am till maybe 3pm. 5 days a week. 3 of those days I would be getting him on the bus at 8am and he'd be returning around noon. I think I'm willing to try this out, if its worth it to me and my family in the long run. I am a SAHM and have a 4yo and 1yo myself. I have never had my kids in daycare and I'm not sure what the rates are. I have googled it lol but it varies drastically. Any advise would be wonderful! Thanks Ladies!

madsmom314

Asked by madsmom314 at 6:23 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• ANYBODY???? PLEASE
    madsmom314

Comment by madsmom314 (original poster) at 6:32 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Call people in your area and find out what they are charging. Do not undercharge and do not overcharge.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:34 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Depends on where you live. Call around to some local daycares and ask what they charge.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 6:36 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• My mom's daycare charged like $35 per day for a full day, and $25 per day for a half day. I think it depends on what you do...one on one attention is important, and your smaller setting, IMO, should warrant better rates. That's per child. I think this is average, around here, for a good center. But...since you have no help like they do in a daycare...I would charge by the house. I, personally, wouldn't charge less than twenty per hour for two kids...especially one with disabilities, depending on any special care he needs.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 6:42 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Look at care.com.  Use the pulldown to see the different categories and then use your zipcode.  You should be able to see what people charge and what others pay.  GL

http://www.care.com/care-p1271.html

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:05 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• It really depends on where you live. Talk to other in home providers in your area.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:05 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Find out what others in your area are charging then, if you'd like, give her a slight discount for being a neighbor.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:00 PM on Dec. 16, 2010