how can you safely give away puppies?

If you took in a stray dog who had puppies to give her food and shelter until they were old enough...how would you go about giving them away to people who would actually give them a good home? I know there are people who target "free to good home" ads online and don't want to risk that...but since they are not pure bred and I have no idea what they are, I doubt I could sell them for money. I just want them to go somewhere safe and loving. We'll keep the mom and one puppy, but the rest we simply don't have the room or money to keep much longer.

The stray dogs around here are insane...but I can't bear to report them to animal control because I know how strict they are in which dogs to save and which to put down.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Pets

• You can find some really good people on craigslist. When I was giving away a stray I found, I had multiple applicants that were interested. Send a few e-mails back n forth to get a feel for why they want the dog, what environment it'll be in, and if they plan to get it fixed.

I know it's scary giving sweet puppies away to God knows who, but you did a great thing by saving their lives.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 6:27 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Thanks. How soon after weaning can a dog be spayed? I don't think the puppies are nursing much anymore...and I would like to have that taken care of as soon as possible to prevent her from having any more now.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:30 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Found this on the SPCA website "One can spay a mother as soon as the kittens or pups are weaned, (5 to 6 weeks for kittens and 4 to 5 weeks for puppies) and because of the risk of pregnancy this should be done."
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 6:31 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Never offer any dog for free on any website. Ask for a small $25 adoption fee, then after you email them or speak to them and they seem legit you can do away with the adoption fee. Normally that one small request will keep the local labs from getting the puppies and using them for medical experiments.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 7:13 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Sandyr911 and Orionsgirl offered some good advice. One more thing I'd like to add is to let your potential adopter know that you'd like to follow up a week or two after they have taken the puppy home to see how things are going...a home visit, or even a phone call. People who are genuinely interested in giving the pup a good home will welcome the contact and the opportunity to update you on the placement. Shady folks won't really react the same way--it's just one more tool you can use to get an overall impression of a potential adopter.
    We had to place a cat last year and did so through craigslist. He went to a very nice family who had no problem with me calling them a few weeks after the adoption. They even e-mailed me photos of kitty snuggled up in bed with their kids. It was a happy ending. Just be smart about it :-) Good luck!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:22 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Puppies can go home anytime after 6 weeks, and then the mother dog can be spayed. You will know when mother dog is fed up, she will start leaving the puppies more on their own, and that is okay. Let her do that, as long as it is after 4 weeks or more.

I think you can go through ads like craigslist, post flyers at your local pet stores and vet offices too. You will get a feeling most likely if the person is not genuine. You might also check your area for any local adopt a thon events, often held at pet stores, vet offices etc, and see if you can attend with your pups.

I agree it is hard to let the puppies go, but most likely they will find good homes and be taken care of properly.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:09 AM on Dec. 16, 2010