Have you heard of "world baby" adoption (or surrogacy)?

In a hospital room on the Greek island of Crete with views of a sapphire sea lapping at ancient fortress walls, a Bulgarian woman plans to deliver a baby whose biological mother is an anonymous European egg donor, whose father is Italian, and whose birth is being orchestrated from Los Angeles.

The man bringing together this disparate group is Rudy Rupak, chief executive of PlanetHospital.com LLC, a California company that searches the globe to find the components for its business line. The business, in this case, is creating babies. Mr. Rupak is a pioneer in a controversial field at the crossroads of reproductive technology and international adoption. Prospective parents put off by the rigor of traditional adoptions are bypassing that system by producing babies of their own—often using an egg donor from one country, a sperm donor from another, and a surrogate who will deliver in a third country to make what some industry participants call "a world baby."

babies_cover

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703493504576007774155273928.html?mod=WSJ_LifeStyle_Lifestyle_5

tasches

Asked by tasches at 6:27 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Adoption

• But it is in the best interest of the CHILD, correct? (dripping with sarcasm....) Sounds really "Hollywood" to me. Too much like a designer baby...just pay at the window and we will call you when your order is ready.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:37 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Wow, just Wow! :( I've only read a portion of the article and I agree that it's a "wild, wild west" form of business, and I'm even more appalled. It will surely increase the exploitation of women AND children all over the globe.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:54 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Hmmm....interesting....I can't imagine how expensive it is though...
    Anonymous

• Yes, I agree with DB It is truly disgusting IMHO. The part about too many fetuses and deciding to get rid of one is particularly hard to swallow. Next thing you know it will be routine to "delete" a fetus if the sex isn't what you want. Oh, too late, I have heard that already happens in some places. I loathe the idea of paying poor women to be baby-makers.

The whole article is very disturbing.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 2:42 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Disgusting
    Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 3:34 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Sounds like just another way for people with too much money to get their designer child along with their designer shoes. Disgusting!!
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 7:26 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I agree that it is disturbing - designer babies! I hate the idea of "deleting extra fetuses". That is just a euphemism for abortion, which is repugnant to those of us who tried for so many years to get pregnant, and to many others.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:27 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• The worst part to me is that the egg and sperm donors can be anonymous. Adoptees have a hard enough time tracing their parents due to birth certificate discrimination. In this case they might not even know what country to start in!
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:20 PM on Dec. 17, 2010