Christian But Don't Celebrate Christmas?

Our church doesn't celebrate this holiday because of it's origins as being invented to make conversion easier for Pagans among other reasons. We do believe in Jesus' birth and immaculate conception, but tend to believe it happened most likely in the spring sometime.

This is often a point of contention for many people when it comes to the church we attend. (No we are not Jehovah's Witness) I'm just wondering if anyone else out there has similar beliefs?

(Yes I know many people will disagree and probably feel the need to tell me so. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I'm really asking this to see if there are others out there who believe as we do.)

toykeymama

Asked by toykeymama at 6:30 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• can you just imagine a jewish jesus witj a christmas tree in his home? christmas is not the birthday of jesus, its the birthday of pagan god horus.

this drives me mad because idont like to worship idols and like to honor God the one and only.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 2:05 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• My faith teaches that Christmas is probably not the true time of Christ's birth and that Easter is probably not the true time of his death and resurrection either. We are celebrating the spirit of those events, and we don't feel compelled to do that at any other time of year than the ones already alotted.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 7:03 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I too don't celebrate christmas because of it's origin. I like to worship God in truth and christmas is far from it. I've noticed more recently, there are more christians who aren't JW who don't celebrate either. I see it this way, I feel good not celebrating it and if others like doing it, then that's their life.
    BrandyBaby22

Answer by BrandyBaby22 at 9:16 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• May I ask what denomination you are? I grew up JW, although today I am not Christian at all. I tend to agree with you & your beliefs however, in fact many of today's commonly considered to be Christian Christmas traditions were actually illegal at one point in this country because they were "unchristian" so obviously you and your group aren't alone...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• We are a very small non denominational church, but tend to lean towards Baptist beliefs in general. I know we aren't entirely alone, but it's so rare to find anyone who agrees I just had to ask.
    toykeymama

Comment by toykeymama (original poster) at 6:35 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• My in laws don't have a tree because of the verse in the book of Jeremiah about not making a wooden idol. They also don't listen to secular carols.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:48 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I can definately agree with not celebrating because of all ther commercialism that has surrounded Christmas. I have never heard of a Christian belief that Jesus was born in the spring. Very interesting.
    Mrs.Faith

Answer by Mrs.Faith at 7:04 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• very conservative members of the Church of Christ do not celebrate Christmas for the same reasons you listed. the CofC is congregation based tho, so they all hold different beliefs about things like Christmas
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:39 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I am a member of the Church of Christ and I do celebrate christmas. Just not as the birth of Jesus. I was raised in this faith and many of my family members also are members and we have always celebrated holidays. But I have known others who did not believe in celebrating christmas or easter or halloween because they felt in conflicted with their beliefs. There is no scripture to say when exactly Jesus was born nor anything to support a celebration or remembrance of his birth. It is his life, his death and resurrection that we recall each Sunday as commanded when we take the Lord's supper (communion).
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 9:08 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I am an essentric christian :) and I do not celebrate christmas. I simply choose not too but I support those who do, such as my family. It was like a weight off my shoulders not to celebrate and He still loves me.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 1:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2010