The FDA is just now tracking antiobiotics in our meat? PEW Report states 29 MILLION pounds given to farm animals in 2009.

http://www.theatlantic.com/food/archive/2010/12/for-the-first-time-the-fda-tracks-antibiotics-in-our-meat/67923/

tasches

Asked by tasches at 7:10 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Farmlady has it right . If you feed cattle on corn , the usual practice in beef production, they will be more infected with e-coli than if they are able to graze on grass, their natural food. Hence the necessity for their feed to be supplemented with antibiotics and the emergence of more resistant strains of the bacterium . Just one example. There have been plenty of TV documentaries on the problems with corporate agriculture and factory food and the inadequacies of the present regulatory system . I could have been misled on this but I understand that imports of American beef to Europe are banned or very restricted because of the high antibiotics content .

Unfortunately not everyone has access to the organic and natural foods you mention, or cannot afford them as they are usually premium priced . The FDA should be beholden to the consumers , not corporate agriculture and food processing.

janet116

Answer by janet116 at 11:42 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• How many of you ladies have ever been on a livestock farm? I grew up on a tobacco farm, but then my dad switched to livestock in 1977. I spent years working with pigs, cows, and chickens. It came down to keeping the herd healthy and sending animals to market that were in the best possible health for human consumption. No matter how hard a grower tries, illness hits herds. If not treated, hundreds or thousands (on poultry farms) die from a controllable illness. Bloody scours is not a nice thing to try to purge from a herd of pigs.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:43 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Well, to me it makes perfect sense ~ just like it makes perfect sense to make life a paperwork/fee ridden (sort of like flea ridden) nightmare for anyone who grows/raises their own food or prefers to purchase local organic or grass raised animals. Not.

I'm allergic to a LOT of antibiotics and gave up on factory farmed meat and milk years ago. I knew years ago that the claims that milk that is sold in stores is free of antibiotics was a lie, and I was well aware that meat was full of it as well.

Why anyone would expect a gov't. agency that actually gets paid by agribusiness and the pharmaceutical companies to care OR tell them the truth is far more astounding to me than the fact that the FDA is claiming to now be tracking drugs in the US meat supply. What I do believe is that most people could care less as long as the meat is cheap and there is someone to sue if it makes them sick.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:35 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Of course they are
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:03 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Why are we just now doing this? There are some people that think government should just stay out of our lives. Someone needs to look out for us, corporations, aren't going to regulate themselves, not when it will affect their profits. We have a high level of of immune disorders in this country, because of our overuse of antibiotics. Third world countries that don't have all these antibiotic products, also don't have a problem with all these diseases.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 10:23 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Jesse, I've been on livestock farms, and I raise my own. A great deal of the illness that occurs on large farms comes from a combination of living conditions and poor feed. The large farms promote disease trying to keep their costs down and by feeding designed to force an animal to market weight faster than nature intended. Don't get me wrong ~ the consumers who don't care about anything but cheap food are as much to blame as farmers trying to make a buck.

It's the largest producers that drive the 'food safety laws' ~ not anything to do with health (for humans or animals!). Their push for these laws stems directly from more consumers switching to organic and grass fed. Some of us actually know that a cow, pig, or chicken out eating grass like they're supposed to rarely gets ill or requires meds ~ even worming. There is little profit in farming that way, but there is a growing consumer demand willing to pay more. cont.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:15 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• cont. ~ Those farmers sell directly to the consumer, not middlemen or stores. They make enough of a profit to stay in business and they grow by word of mouth.

The sad thing is that ALL farming used to be done that way, and there were a great many small farms around each and every town. People didn't get sick from their food because the food wasn't compromised or substandard (and all of the factory farms ~ meat, veggie, fruit) produce substandard food. ALL of them.

People who care about what they eat, people who know anything about nutrition or take the time to learn, and people who grow/raise any sort of food know this. People who expect the gubmint to babysit them won't bother to educate themselves, and either yell at or poke fun at those who do. Those who rely on the FDA instead of their own knowledge and food purchases have no one but themselves to blame if they get sick. It's your own responsibility ~ no one else's.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:23 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Mommom, you are part of the problem ~ although I suspect you've been raised to believe this and discouraged from thinking differently (or for yourself). That doesn't mean you can't educate yourself NOW if you choose to. Making sure your food is healthy and safe for your family is YOUR responsibility. YOU already take far more precautions than any gubmint lackey when it comes to food prep and cooking so why on earth would you trust a gubmint lackey paid by these farms to give an honest accounting? You shouldn't.

Don't take my word for it. Google it yourself. Check out what factory farms are/do. Check out how hybrid/GMO foods have lowered nutritional value (and other things they are proving about them). Find out why they are banned in other countries. Look up heirloom seeds AND breeds of animals. Check the dates for the beginning of feedlots AND heart/cholesterol disease in the US as well.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:30 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Farmlady: we kept our houses clean. We used high pressure washers and fumigated the farrowing house between each group of sows. We pressure washed the pens in the nursery, the sow house, the boar house and the top-out floor as pigs were moved. New stock was isolated and bathed. We had to shower in/out, visitors had to wear our coverals and boots. We still got sicknesses. The chicken houses were turned around, all those feeders cleaned and water tips maintained. It isn't always living conditions. Animals get sick just like humans.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:24 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• bouncingI like my beef! Beef it up!

sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 6:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2010