Can you give me advice about looking for a preschool?

We just moved to a new town and I am considering putting my 2.5 dd in preschool. Since I don't know anyone, I have no idea which ones are good or even where they are. I am planning to take her to a few to look at but don't really know what I am looking for. Can you give me ANY advice about preschools: what to look for, how to know if my dd is ready, how long to put her in for?? Thanks!

christinab313

Asked by christinab313 at 7:25 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When you go see what the teacher to child ratio is. The smaller the better in my opinion. Make sure they have plans in case of fire or natural disasters. See what the typical day is like there. Ask about how they discipline the children when they misbehave. Hmm...I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of them at the moment.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 7:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• i don't know much about choosing them since we live in a very small town and I had one choice. But most preschools won't take kids below a certain age and thats usually 3-4. But there are other programs out there for kids your DD's age, I would look up head start or look up preschool groups or mom's groups in your area that way you'll be able to meet people and get info at the same time.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 7:37 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I'd call the board of education in your area and ask them how you get started.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 8:10 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Maybe look for a MOPS group and they can give you advice\?
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 8:10 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• there are web sites available with the right questions to ask when coming into a daycare to determine the right place for your little one. I think if you google what your looking for then you should be able to find the right fit for you and your child. good luck!
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 8:56 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• you should start out doing part time.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 2:12 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• First determine what it is you want to get out of a preschool program for your child. Then get to know the various approaches and decide which you're more comfortable with. For example, I think it's important for kids to get to be kids - any place that pushed work sheets was off my radar. I didn't need to see the letter of the week come home on 5 different types of worksheets. I wanted to see them learn and grow while having a blast. I looked for places that focused on "learn through play" or "interactive, hands-on learning." They learned letters, numbers, letter sounds, science, social studies, etc by playing games, doing experiments, crafts, etc. Look for facilities with accreditation, ask if their teachers require certification. Ask for a tour during school hours and ask to go into a classroom. IF they say no, turn and leave. ;) Take your daughter on the tour - see how she responds to staff and students AND how they to her.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:41 AM on Dec. 16, 2010