What do you think is a good age for preschool?

I recently saw someone on here say they regretted not waiting till 3-4 to put her dd in preschool and now I am wondering if I should wait to put my 2.5 year old in. I have a son 15 mo younger and I don't get much 1 on 1 time with either of them so I thought preschool might benefit both of them. He would get some alone time with me, and she would get more advanced activities that we can't do with a 1 year old around. But on the other hand, there is no rush. She is daytime potty trained, verbal and is only mildly shy.

christinab313

Asked by christinab313 at 7:32 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I put my daughter in daycare at age 3, she started pre-k this year at age 4. She turned 5 during the school year, and already is ahead of other kids her own age who are in kindergarden. I would start school whenever you feel like. I had been working with both my kids (recognizing letters, numbers, shapes, and colors) from birth. Whatever you do, you start at home. No teacher can teach your child unless you begin the instruction first.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 7:40 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• You can try but most preschools that I've seen won't take them before 3, there are other programs out there for younger kids that are the same thing pretty much. the best one that I've heard of is Head Start.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 7:41 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• my daughter is in daycare and has been in daycare since she was 12weeks old but i think she will be in actual preschool on the earlier side at 3yrs old when its her time. there really is no rush but its a good idea for interaction with othe children if you think she would benefit from it. its all fun and play!
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:44 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I say 3 though my dd isnt starting until next year when she turns 4 (which is next month). It was too late to sign her up; the list was full.

thtqrljess07

Answer by thtqrljess07 at 7:53 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Mine started at 3, all three of them, for half days then added on more hours as they adjusted.

Answer by older at 8:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I think 3 is a good age! Let them be little and enjoy it for a while. Good luck
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 8:09 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• When I was a kid I started preschool at 2. At the beginning of this school year I enrolled my 2.5 yr old and he loves it! So its up to you, there is no harm in starting them early. Also, you can do a half day for your LO they go for a few hours and get picked up after lunch.
    vjoaquin

Answer by vjoaquin at 9:29 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• My son turned 4 in October, and I really wish I had enrolled him in preschool this year. He'll go next year as he won't start kindergarten b/c his birthday is too late. He's currently at a home center, and our babysitter used to be a preschool teacher so she works with the kids on a lot of stuff but my son really needs to start getting used to being in a structured setting. I plan to start my daughter at age 3.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 11:03 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• put the older one in preschool and keep the young one home so you can give them one on one time.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 2:12 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• my older 2 started preschool at age 4. they did awesome, and it was an all day preschool. i do put my kids into hourly daycare though (when i have an appt. or another child does)so they are a bit used to being away from me. this is what worked for us though. i kinda wish i could send my toddler to one next year when she is 3, she loves to play with kids and not have mommy there.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 8:40 AM on Dec. 16, 2010