Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

SS disability for children???

I was wondering if anyone has ss for thier children. My daughter has CP very mild... and Im possibaly able to get SS for her, However they want me to get rid of one of my cars.. bc I have two.... My husband has to have a car to go to work in he works from 2am- 12noon and 10am-6pm he usually only gets one day off if he is lucky.... I have my car for all of my daughters apointments.. that are usually for 8-10am..... I HAVE TO HAVE BOTH CARS!!! SO do you all have ss for your child and have two cars... Do i need a lawyer?

Answer Question

Asked by lacyjay1987 at 7:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Parenting Debate

Level 16 (2,695 Credits)
Answers (15)
  • It's a LONG process. Get ready to jump through about a million or two hoops. You will probably get turned down more than once. For children, it's SSI and it IS based on income. Once my son turned 18, it switched over to disability. They told me they didn't do disability for kids the same way they do adults.

    Get your doctors lined up and on your side. They will send you to their own doctors. You will need paperwork out the butt.

    Good luck and yes, a lawyer may come in handy. Having one helped when my hubby applied.

    Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:30 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

  • Can you discribe very mild CP? reason asking is that I have CP as well a mild case that effects my right arm and leg. I have had about 10ish surgeries to try and correct things to make walking and have better use of my hand. Many of which have been really successful. I did graduate from College and held a social work positioh for many years before i decided to stay home with my kids. Why do you want the disability for your child? not knowing your whole story I find myself hoping that you decide not to do this and to push your childto be the best she can be and to help her succeed to the best of her abilities. If you need to talk more about this from someone who knows feel free to message me! GL to you

    Answer by rebeccadac at 8:36 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

  • There's nothing an attorney would be able to do in this case. The law states that you can NOT have more than 2K in assets, and that includes cars. They don't count one car, but that would mean your 2nd car would need to be worth less than 2K. If it's worth more, maybe you could sell it and get a much cheaper 2nd car.
    But an attorney could do nothing because it's the law - talk to your congressman.

    Answer by missanc at 10:20 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

  • one car 5000 its a 2005 chevy malibu the other is 1600 hyundia

    Comment by lacyjay1987 (original poster) at 10:41 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

  • ok thanks soo much

    Comment by lacyjay1987 (original poster) at 10:45 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

  • My SIL has SS disability for all 3 of her Autistic kids. It's great because now with about $1800 a month coming in for Free, she does not have to work.

    Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:38 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

  • My SIL has 6 kids hired a lawyer for all 6 of them for SSi and she is collecting over 15 grand a month with a nice 4 bedoom 31/2 bath home with 1 van, 1 huge large tuck and 1RV. She claims her kids are austim and I have to say they are not.

    Answer by BrknWingAngel at 3:36 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

  • i have 2 kids 2 cars and 1 job and my daughter has a unknown diagnosis so u can have the cars u dont have to explain why you have 2 cars get a lawyer that wrks with ss and get ur money with ur 2 cars

    Answer by premiemom18 at 4:12 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

  • id get a lawyer

    Answer by san78 at 8:12 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

  • yes, you should quailfy, i would think. SS doesn't have anything to do with what you own if you getting disabilty.

    Answer by sexyfancyface at 8:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.