My granddaughter is almost 4 and she does not pronounce her words very well. Any suggestions?

Asked by cynthiahammer at 8:54 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• maybe look into speech therapy?

Answer by ilovetracilynn at 9:05 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• maybee you can find a talk to me program where they can asses her speach
    is their any city run playgroups in the area with a health nurse they can get you connected with the right people
    maybe ask the school your planing on taking her to about it i know when i was young i was in a speach class because i spolk to fast and joined words

Answer by elyssa87 at 9:07 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• A friend of mine takes her 6 year old son to a place called "Praying Hands Ranch" it's like a speech therapy camp of sorts. They use horses and horseback riding for the kids...I'm not 100% sure how it works and don't have much info about it (sorry) She says it seems to be working with him though.

Answer by livytwo at 9:09 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My best friend went through the samething with her son when he was turning 3. Her doctor got him connected with a specialist and now the school board is paying to make sure he recieve's speech therapy. So, check into you school system and local programs might provide the services for free depending on your granddaughters parents income.

Answer by Twins_Mom04 at 11:04 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Check with your County health department or local school system - they should be able to give you a local resource that can test her speech and offer advice.

Answer by rskmom at 11:41 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• have you had a hearing test done? if you cant hear very well then you wont speak very well. you pronounce words like you hear them

Answer by yathere at 12:25 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Of course it all depends on how bad it is. If she kind of still has a baby way of saying things then there are two ways that you could help her. One make sure you or no one else talks to her as a baby, and two try playing with her with toys like dolls and have her talk using the dolls. I know the last one sounds wired but it worked for me and my son, I started getting down and playing with him with his Woody and Buzz Lightyear toys and his vocabulary and speech as improved dermaticly. Know if she can't pronounce some of her letter sounds like the letter R sound then I say she may need speech.

Answer by KiriandWyatt at 12:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• All good suggestions. Also, try working up the muscle tone around the mouth. Gum chewing, bubble blowing, straw sucking, and vibrating toothbrushes all increase muscle tone around mouth. Worked for my boy who is now six and wasn't talking until he was three.

Answer by Hoomom at 2:35 AM on Jun. 20, 2008