SS disability for children

I was wondering if anyone has ss for thier children. My daughter has CP very mild... and Im possibaly able to get SS for her, However they want me to get rid of one of my cars.. bc I have two.... My husband has to have a car to go to work in he works from 2am- 12noon and 10am-6pm he usually only gets one day off if he is lucky.... I have my car for all of my daughters apointments.. that are usually for 8-10am..... I HAVE TO HAVE BOTH CARS!!! SO do you all have ss for your child and have two cars... Do i need a lawyer?

lacyjay1987

Asked by lacyjay1987 at 7:34 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son has autism and he recently was a[prove to recive ss,we also have two cars my hubby use 1 for work and i use the other one to take my son to therapies twice a week.you should explain them that you need to cars and take prove of the appoiments with you.GOOD LUCK!!!!
    marielena18

Answer by marielena18 at 7:46 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• And this would be why the Social Security system is in trouble. This is NOT what Social Security was designed for. Social Security was designed to be a mandatory savings plan for the American worker,and was set up to pay benefits to the widow and children of the worker IF the worker should die before retirement age. In other words, the worker put money in -and the worker (or family of worker IF worker was deceased) got money out. And when the system was used in the way it was intended? The system was VERY successful.
    Handicapped children do NOT pay into the system. Does there need to be an agency to assist with the care of children who need it? Yes. But it shouldn't be Social Security
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 7:41 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Your husband isn't retired - a mandatory savings plan for retirement. Your child never paid into SS. And when people take disability money from SS, they're taking money paid into SS by American workers. It's not government money - it's money that people worked for and earned, and count on for their retirement or count on to help their family survive in the event of the death of the worker.
    If you and/or your husband works right now, you'll be eligible to draw SS when you get to retirement age - if there's any money left. The question about there being money available in SS is because people who do not pay in are currently able to get disability benefits.
    (and Nancy - well said!)
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:56 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• justnancyb and aliceinalgonac have said it very well. It's not what that system was ever designed to do. It's unfortunate that they've damaged that system by using it as if it were just a well of money that could be visited without ever damaging anyone.

But the (government's) misuse of this system does damage - damages not only America's workers but also widows and children. This is one of the reasons they're talking about raising retirement age - because they need workers to work longer and pay more in because they're putting too much out (to the wrong people). Widows have already suffered benefits cuts. It's a shame.

Like justnancyb said, I wish there was a system in place that was designed to help disabled children - but the corruption of the SS system never was the answer.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 8:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• @ justnancyb im only 23 and i never really have any idea what ss was but people told me i needed to get it and if it will help then i want it.. I dont know alot about ss .. sorry
    lacyjay1987

Comment by lacyjay1987 (original poster) at 7:48 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• @ marielena18 thanks i will try what you said.
    lacyjay1987

Comment by lacyjay1987 (original poster) at 7:49 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• @ justnancyb "Social Security was designed to be a mandatory savings plan for the American worker" my husband works for the state...so he is a worker we do work...... im just confused
    lacyjay1987

Comment by lacyjay1987 (original poster) at 7:51 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• So I am wrong for trying to have money to take care of my child.. wouldnt you all do the same if you did not have the total amount of funds... SS gives disability benifits.. so wh y is it wrong to take advantage of them if on eis truly in need..??? not being mean i just really truly dont understand....
    lacyjay1987

Comment by lacyjay1987 (original poster) at 8:00 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I read that The Social Security disability insurance program (sometimes referred to as SSDI) pays benefits to you and certain family members if you worked long enough and paid Social Security taxes. So if this is true then you have put your moneys worth in or what is this saying???

lacyjay1987

Comment by lacyjay1987 (original poster) at 8:08 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• It's probably the only way you'll be able to get this kind of help - if you need it. But I'm not sure it should be available to you. If my child needs glasses, I pay for them. If my child needs braces,I pay for them. If my child needs a doctor's care, I pay for it. Why should someone else pay for your child's medical care?
    Would it be ok with you if I took money from your savings to pay for my needs? Would it be ok with you if I took money from your savings to pay for my child to see the dentist or the physical therapist? Would it be ok with you if I took money from your savings in order to make life easier for my family?
    That's what happens when Social Security is used for disability payments. When Social Security is used for disability payments, widows and children -I'm a widow -ME AND MY CHILDREN-go without. You'll find that there's a rather large community of widows on this website and this is a very important issue.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 8:08 PM on Dec. 15, 2010