HIV allowed to stay in service...how do you feel about it?

Now, HIV-positive people are allowed to stay in the military unless they develop AIDS.

http://www.thebody.com/content/art18774.html

I also found a blog with this in it ......

"Hello, I read a recent question answered about an Air Force capt who was diagnosed with HIV. I am a current Army soldier, and I wanted to let you know that the military's policy is that you cannot initially join the military with HIV, but if you test positive for it once you are in, you are allowed to stay in. You will not be able to deploy overseas, but you can stay here in the US. You can continue your enlistment as long as you would like, until you get too sick to do your job. There used to be a prohibition on HIV+ military members, but it was repealed in."

usdragonflies

Asked by usdragonflies at 7:39 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Good, just because someone has HIV doesn't mean they should be discriminated against
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 7:46 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• well, technically you don't "develop" AIDS, once you have had one of the "AIDS defining illnesses" such as a T cell count below 200, kaopsi's sarcoma (like Tom Hanks in Philidelphia then you go from being technically HIV+ to having AIDS, and you never return to HIV+ status after that, but you can still live a long and healthy life.

I have no problem with it
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:43 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I think as long as they are not in active combat, then there will not be much risk of infecting a fellow soldier. There are plenty of HIV people in our society that we work with every day. It's the same here. Remember when Magic Johnson told of his status. He still played Basketball for a while. There was a risk for contact w/ blood then too. I think they should be allowed the same opportunities as anyone else.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:49 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• As long as they are not in combat I don't see the issue. HIV isn't Leprosy.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 9:10 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I think it is fine...
    Anonymous

• I agree with the above posters- no one should be prejudiced against simply because they have a communicable disease, especially since they are not on active duty where there could be an increased risk of infection. I worked with a girl for two years who had herpes and hepatitis. She was a wonderful woman and I never feared that I would contract a disease- and I didn't of course!
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 8:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I have no problem with allowing them to stay in.
    -LucyInTheSky-

Answer by -LucyInTheSky- at 8:34 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• My bff died from AIDS in 1999, we worked together, hung out and even shared plates & utensils. It's not like a cold.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 9:11 PM on Dec. 15, 2010