In your opinion...does the warrant a trip to ER?

DS is 10 months old. He is BF and is eating fine, wetting diapers. But since starting baby food has become extremely constipated. He has only have one normal stool in 2 weeks other than that he has had onl small marble sized hard stools. He has also began to loose weight and now you can see the outline of his rib cage. His skin is loose and wrinkly. He BFs before any solids and only has been having a jar a day. I have stopped giving him baby food and still nothing. Its like he isn't digesting the food he has eaten. Would you go to ER ot just wait for a doctor visit?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• why have you just now considered calling his regular ped?!
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:44 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Ughm. I'd make a doctors visit in an urgent manner. Like, tomorrow go in. And I don't care if they refuse to see you, sit in the office until he gets seen.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 7:45 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I would have gone to the dr. long before I could see the rib cage and loose skin. Call your ped. and ask for advice from a qualified medical professional, but I doubt this requires an ER visit.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 7:45 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I would call his doctor & tell them what is going on. They will tell you if it's something you can wait for them on or if you should take him in to the ER. Personally I wouldn't think it's something to go to the ER for, but they should be able to tell you over the phone if it's "emergency" or not if you call the peds.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:46 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• xall the ped office
    talk to on call nurse
    get advise
    make appt with ped doc

i was always calling and asking nurses for medical advice, had number on speed dial, that is why they are they, for things tlike this, they rarely say come in, without first giving advice
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:46 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• This warrants a visit to the dr for sure
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:48 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• the kid is underfed...feed him. a jar a day? he should be eating atleast 1 per meal
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:52 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I would call your doc first thing tomorrow and as to talk to a nurse, explain the situation. Most likely they'll want to see him to make sure there's nothing serious going on, or they can tell you what to do for him. They should be able to fit him in for an urgent visit if needed. Most offices have appts available just for that purpose. Really, the ER isn't going to do much for him. They may be able to give him fluids if he's dehydrated, but I'm not sure what else they can do. Most kiddos who are constipated who I have seen come through the ER are examined, observed for a short time, and sent home with maybe some suppositories to help move the stool out. IMO, you should have called the doctor well before now, but that's just me.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:55 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• call his ped. tlk to a nurse they should give you some ideas to help him until his apointment
    VERONICAS_MOM

Answer by VERONICAS_MOM at 8:04 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I would call the doctors emergecncy line and see what they say. I would have called way before it got this bad though.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 8:09 PM on Dec. 15, 2010