Wet Cat Food?

My family just adopted a cat from a shelter and I was wondering if I should be feeding her wet food or just dry food? I know she got some wet food at the shelter but not very often. Advice?

Luuckymommy

Asked by Luuckymommy at 7:59 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Pets

• Wet food is NOT bad for animals. Our vet recommends a certain amount for ours. But, it is conjunction with a good brand of dry food. We use IAMS for our cats and Eukanuba for our dog. You have to remember that cats and dogs are carnivores. In the wild, the prey they hunt and eat are 90% water. Here is a link to some information substantiating these facts.  http://www.cathealth.com/food-wet-dry.htm

specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 8:11 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• My cats both eat wet and dry food. They eat Felidae and I mix up a small spoonful of wet food with their dry food, and microwave it about ten seconds, then stir again. They are doing very well on what I feed them.
    -LucyInTheSky-

Answer by -LucyInTheSky- at 8:25 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Wet food is a treat, among other things it can cause tooth decay. Not to mention the smell, ugh! As long as your cat isn't a very young kitten dry food should be her number one diet.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:45 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• To the people who think dry dog/cat food cleans teeth, how about you go a couple of days without brushing your teeth and eat nothing but crunchy foods (cereal, chips, crackers), then come back and tell me how "clean" your teeth are. Lol Not gonna happen. I'm not being b!tchy/pushy, I'm just trying to get the point across that dry dog/cat food does NOT keep their teeth clean...regular brushing and dentals DO, just like with people.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 10:40 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• BTW, I have 2 cats. Our female will not touch moist cat food at all (but she'll steal our chips and fries when we have them, LOL). Our male cat loves the stuff (doesn't like chips or fries, haha), but of course he only gets it as a treat.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 8:08 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• my vet recommended wet food-or in my case-canned tuna fish-once a day and dry food left on hand for kitty any time he gets the urge; like specialwingz said they are carnivores and especially depending on the breed some cats really need wet meat or tuna, its bred into them
    dez1379

Answer by dez1379 at 8:26 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• @iluvualready - that is why wet food is supposed to be given in conjunction with dry. Nobody is saying to serve only wet food.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 8:58 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• A lot people believe that wet food is better for cats and in some cases this is true. If you have a cat that gets bladder infections a lot or produces to many struvite chrystal the wet food does help. I had a cat that produced to many struvite Chrystals in her urine and she great on just dry food. I don't like wet but will use it if an animal is sick and I can't get them to eat anything else.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:15 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• It is completely untrue that dry food helps clean the teeth. Think about...do dry, crunchy foods clean our teeth? Heck no. Wet food is actually better for cats. Remember, they are carnivors and meat is mostly water. Just be sure to feed them a high quality food that does not contain byproducts, fillers, or sugar. If you are worried about their teeth, you can brush them and have them professionally cleaned once a year.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 11:37 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Dry cat food. Wellness or Fromms is a nice diet for your cat. Wet food should be a treat. You can add some warm water to the dry cat food too.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:04 AM on Dec. 16, 2010