• In the Spotlight:

How do you teach a 6 year old to swallow a pill?

virgomom_83

Asked by virgomom_83 at 11:08 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• put it far back on his tongue then make him take a big drink of something. Don't give him time to chew or spit it out.
    Anonymous

• I would just mash it up and mix it in with food...unless it is advised not to do that on the pill bottle.

Otherwise, I would just tell him/her to put the pill in the back of his/her mouth against a cheek (the back of the tongue could cause a kid to choke if the kid is not accustomed to taking pills) and let them drink a glass of water as usual.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 11:15 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Practice with m&ms
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:20 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• my daughter has been taking pills since she was 3. the med she has been on for her uti's doesnt come in liquid/.
    we just taught her to put it wayyy back on her tounge and take a bug swallow. its alot easier if the pill is coated.
    and dont make a big deal out of it. that wil just make them scared .
    septembermom

Answer by septembermom at 11:23 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• If it's a capsule, sometimes you can open it up and mix the medicine into applesauce or pudding... my mom did that with me with my asthma medication when I was little. Crushing it is okay too, just get a pill crusher from the pharmacy... some pharmacists don't recommend it because you may not get ALL the medication, due to it turning into a powdery substance. I am a pharmacy technician, so if you want to message me and tell me what pill it is, I could help you further...
    snugabug83103

Answer by snugabug83103 at 12:36 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• mash it up and put in pudding or put in mouth and take with a drink he/she loves therefore they wont have that tast in they mouth and they will be focus on the drink and not the pill good luck
    shylove28

Answer by shylove28 at 12:47 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• cut the pill in half or if that don't work pay him a dollar a pill if it stays down. My boy will do anything for a dollar. These are better then what my husband said to do. He said to use a blow dart gun. Men that why they don't have babys.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I had to take pills at that age and my mom either crushed them and mixed it on a spoon with sugar (mmmm, lol) or opened the capsule and mixed it in. I think we did peanut butter sometimes too.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:17 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• My kids were able to do it without being taught. If he swallows food, he probably can swallow a pill. If he is hesitant and can't do it, crush it and give it in applesauce or find an alternative route or form. Ask the pharmacist for ideas. Capsules shouldn't be emptied unless you talk to the doctor or pharmacist first.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 4:58 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• what we do with my daughter is have her slightly tilt her head back put the pill as far back on the tongue without gagging her as we can then give her some water and have her hold the head just slightly back while she swallows works every time with her without choking her or giving her a hard time swallowing it
    one_white_rose

Answer by one_white_rose at 8:21 PM on Nov. 8, 2008