Sign language?

Just curious. How many moms taught their child sign language as they were teaching them the alphabet and certain words?

bseastrand

Asked by bseastrand at 8:13 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• My aunt is deaf so I did teach my son some sign language. However, he is now in kindergarten and all the children can hear but as they are learning the alphabet and the sounds, they are also learning sign language. He can now sign the whole alphabet. I think this is wonderful as children catch on so quickly this is a great idea.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 6:54 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My son used Sign Language as a means of communicating before speech. Though he still remembers a lot of it he never really uses it now. He is 6. My DD never took to the idea.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:16 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I do know ASL & ISL. But, I did not teach my kids when they were little. As we do not have deafness in our family, it is not used as a main language. Signing is like any other language. If you don't use it on a regular basis, nobody retains it that well, including kids.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 8:18 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• My older son learned sign language as a means of communicating before he learned to use functional speech. Pairing the signs with the words suddenly made the words click for him. I taught my younger son some signs since he was about 4 months old. He didn't start using them until he was about 7 months old, but it let us know when he wanted a drink, more, food and when he was all done.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:26 PM on Dec. 15, 2010