Social Security

There are people on here who are extremely judgmental about anyone who receive any kind of assistance. Social Security Disability was set up specifically for families who become disabled before retirement or children who are disabled before the age of 18. It is there to help those families. The reason SSI is short is because of the large number baby boomers and because politicians have been skimming the top for things that don't qualify as social security benefits. You women need to get off your high horse and do some f****** research before judging those people who actually need this service. I am sick of hearing about how ME and other disabled parents are taking from others. I paid in, and am not even allowed to have savings for retirement. I don't think I'm wrong for wanting my kids to have a roof over their heads, just because my spine is twisted.

sweet29mom

Asked by sweet29mom at 8:23 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• You go girl!!
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 8:24 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• There are many pamphlets available to explain who can get it and why.
    sweet29mom

Comment by sweet29mom (original poster) at 8:24 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Wrong. The people on here that YOU are judging are WIDOWS whose husbands paid INTO the SS system for years and yet find themselves living beneath the poverty level because the SS system is bankrupting itself paying for things it was not designed to pay for.

No one was the least bit judgmental about if that particular poster should have been able to secure help for her child. They were merely stating - and respectfully - that the SS system was never designed to do that. And having a system paying out more than it is taking in is NOT working.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 8:31 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Yes, I understand. I have a disabled child and do not collect As of right now, I can afford his care and don't want to take from those of you who really do need it, when right now I don't. I know how the system works. If the person collecting is truely disabled, I have no problem. My problem is with the people who coach their children to act disabled (I know several) or those who go from doctor to doctor until they find one who will just fill out the forms (a former co-worker, my former SIL and my sis's former MIL). THOSE are the people who are ripping off the system and taking from others.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:32 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I saw the post on SS and disability payments being made to children. No one was being judgmental about people receiving assistance. They were saying that this is what is gone wrong with the system, why it is going broke.
    Anonymous

• My best friend lives below the poverty level. She was widowed at 32, while pregnant and raising a 5 year old son. Social Security limited her earnings to far below poverty - and if she earned over that amount, she lost benefits. Money her husband (10 years older) had paid into that system since he was 16. She still lives below poverty level, struggling to raise a family and trying to keep the house out of foreclosure and the heat on, often going without food and medical care. And that is why the Social Security system shouldn't be paying money out to anyone other than the worker or the widow/children of the dead worker - because when they do, it is the widows/children of the workers who suffer.
    snivic

Answer by snivic at 8:37 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• they can judge all they want!hopefully they never go through the pain and the financial problems that come when you have a disable child at home!!
    marielena18

Answer by marielena18 at 8:39 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• SSI is Supplemental Security Income, not meant to be the only income. I know how hard it is to make ends meet, since I was 2 credits short from full disability. I'm trying to raise 3 boys on the $674 a month I receive based on what I have paid in. I will not have medical to pay for my meds or treatment after my kids graduate from school.
    sweet29mom

Comment by sweet29mom (original poster) at 8:41 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Looks like you might want to get off that high horse of yours and do some research - of course, you might need some help understanding it, because you clearly misunderstood the entire conversation happening on the other thread.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 8:41 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I saw it, and wanted to reply but the question closed before I finished typing my answer. Those women weren't being judgmental, but you certainly are. Shameful.
    yoliplus6

Answer by yoliplus6 at 8:43 PM on Dec. 15, 2010