I cant take this anymore????

I am 36 to 37 weeks pregnant with my first child and have been experiencing the worst cramps ever since Sunday...I went to the hospital to discover that the cramps that I am feeling are contractions ( I am a first time mom) well they observed me and when I got there I was a centimeter but after a few hrs I did not progress they sent me home....well my question to you is how does one know when you have progressed besides your water breaking because I hear that does not happen to all women...because these cramps/contractions have not gone away and are still every 5 min apart and coming strong.

And my doc keeps saying to go to the hospital but my husband can not continue to miss work nightly (although he is not concerned about his job he is more worried about me) but I feel guilty and I know that his job has to be getting tired of me not knowing if I am in actual labor or not ( he works the grave yard shift and we all know that is not the easiest shift to have someone to come in and cover which is why they hassle him about it) and I am trying to be strong but how much longer should I have to put up with this pain its getting really tiring and frustrating not knowing if I go whether or not I will be sent home again....please help I do not know what to do

lazo060109

Asked by lazo060109 at 8:25 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Some OB's and Midwives like to recommend a glass of wine at this point to help mom relax and get some rest when she is experiencing a lot of prodromal labor.

With your baby being so early still, it is best to try and keep baby inside as long as possible.
    Hang tough mom, you can do this!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 8:48 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• if you go in now, you will end up with a failure to progress and a c-section.
    I know it sucks but you need to try and get some rest. What you are experiencing is called Prodromal labor and it is quite common.
    (nurses and OB's like to call it "false labor" but it's not, your uterus IS working and it IS doing something, it just might not be measurable)

Do you know if you have a posterior baby or if your cervix is posterior or tilted? Do the nurses/OB have a hard time reaching your cervix when doing a cervical exam? If either of the above are your situation, you are more likely to experience Prodromal labor because your uterus has to work extra hard to make that cervix move forward so it can then dilate and let baby out. if your baby is posterior, your uterus is trying to encourage baby to get into a better position for labor.

Try relaxing in a warm tub. Talk to your care provider about something to help you sleep. cont....
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 8:46 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• they need to be 2-3 mins apart
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 9:27 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I agree- if you go in now they will say is failure to progress, induce you and if that doesn't work it's a c-section for you... Been there down that! I've had 3 c-sections and none was more painful then the first after induction and being fully dialated with labor..... super painful. Just wait until you are contracting every 2-3 mins.... I know it's painful, labor is painful btu I wish u a lot of luck. Drink some water and lay down
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 9:30 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• just relax it will happen
    MarvelousMama

Answer by MarvelousMama at 11:32 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• If they are 5 min apart, then you need to go in
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 8:28 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I know but went in on Monday they were every 5 min apart and they still sent me home....I guess I just have this fear that I am wasting my time and everyone is going to think that I am just over reacting
    lazo060109

Comment by lazo060109 (original poster) at 8:30 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• It can go on like this for quite awhile. When I was actually in active labor there was no chance of me getting on the computer though. If you are 36 to 37 weeks you want to keep the baby in there a little bit longer. I would just make sure to rest up and will know when enough is enough. How far is the hospital? You will know when things get more intense and you have transitioned into active labor.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:31 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• im pregnant with my first and only 17 weeks, but wanted to offer you my wishes for good luck and hopefully a healthy delivery-or atleast some relief-in the very near future! :)
    dez1379

Answer by dez1379 at 8:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• yeah at this point you just need to register yourself in... and they can do something for the pain.... trust me...
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 8:37 PM on Dec. 15, 2010