Why didnt anyone tell me?! What did you wish someone told you before having a baby?

I just had my first child and no one warned me about the sleepless nights driving you mad.
How the constant concern a mother has for her child never goes away.
How exhausting being a stay at home mother is?
How at child birth an epidural is a false since of hope.( mine didnt work)

Kaye924

Asked by Kaye924 at 8:30 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• These are all things one needs to experience themselves, nothing anyone would have told me would have had any type of warning effect until you live it!

Answer by older at 8:32 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• i feel your pain on the epidural i was cut off...
    but on everything else i pretty much knew...
    i just think at this point is doing it a little different.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 8:34 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• None of those would apply to me. I wish somebody had told me that it never gets any easier. The older they get the more complicated the problems get.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:35 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• It the most rewarding and the most beautiful experience. It is also the most painful and difficult experience.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:38 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I wonder if any or most of us would have listened anyway, wanting to be a Mother, would we really have listened? It's a trial and error process and you do the best you can with each age and each process as they grow. It's hard, but it's so rewarding in the end. I had my last 2 children natural, meaning, I had NOTHING and I was so happy to have had that experience. I was asleep or out of it with my 1st child and I always regretted that, and had I had any more I'd had gone NATURAL again, it was just a beautiful experience for me and my husband. Hang in there a lot of us have all been there and it does get better.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 9:01 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• When a woman is pregnant people sometimes offer up to much info but the info that is needed or welcomed for some reason never comes. The unfortunate part of being a new mom is that you really dont know how easy or in most cases how hard it is going to be until you get there. My children didnt sleep for the 1st yr. I got to the point I was passing out feeding them it was so bad. I also cried ever night for the 1st yr praying they would wake up in the morning. (a fear i later lived through my sister in law who lost a kid during the night sleeping) Exhaustion is lived by all moms work or staying at home, no one is immune. The epidural, I did not get one. My family has bad reaction to them so I tried to not use drugs but later used a drug called an inerthical. It is a shot to the spine and has 1 side effect (itching) but it only lasts 2 hrs. In those 2 hrs I gave birth to both my boys. Keep your chin up it get better.
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 9:19 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I wish someone had told me how fast they really do grow and change, and not to blink because every second is so precious and we realize how much we miss just because they grow so quickly.

Not to second guess yourself over everything (I still have trouble with this).
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:27 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I wish someone told me after pushing out the baby UR NOT DONE AND YOU DNT GET TO JUS HOLD THE BABY AND THATS ALL you still have work to do and even after having the baby you still walk around sore and got a whole new body :)
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 3:47 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I wish someone had told me to skip induction and epidurals alltogether because of side effects and an increase in c-sec(yep I had a c--sec). And no one stresses how BAD a c-sec really is. Just because its commom surgery nowadays doesn't make it pain free and guilt free. No one tells you that it will literally hurt to sneeze. No one tells you that you will have enormous breasts when milk comes in and that breastfeeding can take months to get down pat.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:58 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• That I would develop this weird instinct to catch vomit in my bare hands. lol
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:12 PM on Dec. 16, 2010