• In the Spotlight:

Pumping milk or forumla no bashing.

Just a simple question.

If you could NOT breast feed for whatever reason. Would you try to pump or go to formula?

I can not breast feed, my kids wouldn't latch on and when they did nothing. I pump only and feed with a bottle (my choice) plus I sometimes give formula when I have to (again my choice).

I might be opening up a can of worms here but I'd like to know what people would do. As I said before no bashing. 

OliviaW.

Asked by OliviaW. at 8:58 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• Hun I was unable to breast feed my son so I did like you I pumped. I think you are doing a great job.
    ready4baby2011

Answer by ready4baby2011 at 9:00 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I would pump and supplement with formula. Some breast milk is better than none.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 9:00 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Its great that you try to give breastmilk even if baby won't latch on. There is nothing wrong with supplementing with formula. All that matters is that baby is healthy and both of you are happy.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 9:08 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I had the same problem as you. My son just wouldn't latch correctly and I pumped until I couldn't anymore. My schedule made it hectic and I just had to stop but I commend you :) It's tough but its healthier to stick to it for as long as you can.
    KitKatCadillac

Answer by KitKatCadillac at 9:35 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• well i couldnt breastfeed with my oldest my boobs got too ingorged so i couldnt do either i just switched to bottles with my second i was only able to breast feed for 2 months and had to switch him to a bottle i tried pumping but wasnt getting anything then my 3rd i was able to breastfeed for 2 months but she wasnt acting like she was being fed so i went to the dr found out i wasnt making enough nutrients so again had to switch to bottles but i believe that all mothers should do what they think is best for the baby because the babies health is the most important thing and i beleive your choice to pump to feed is very wise some mothers would just give up
    secret_shadows

Answer by secret_shadows at 9:39 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I went to formula for all three of mine, (my choice)

Answer by older at 9:00 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I would have loved to breastfed my son. I am bi-polar and refused to take meds while I was pregnant. My doctor wanted me on meds as soon as he was born and I chose to do that and feed formula.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 9:01 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I tried to breastfeed but my son would not latch on at all. I also tried to pump but I only produced about 1-2 oz every time I pumped. I was supplementing with formula and even then he would not drink from the bottle. We tried about 9-10 different bottles/nipples before we finally found the right one for him. After 1 1/2-2 months of pumping and only getting a few oz.., I finally just went to formula.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:03 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I would do what you did. By shear luck, my babies have breastfeed well and I always had the milk to give. I'm glad you at least gave it some serious thought and effort.
    Mrs.Faith

Answer by Mrs.Faith at 9:03 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Pump. I'm not into the way formula smells.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 9:16 PM on Dec. 15, 2010