picky eaters and smoothies

My 2 year old has basically stopped eating and started losing weight, so I've been giving her smoothies. I put whole fruits and veggies, fat-free yogurt, peanut butter, legumes, frozen fruit, and sometimes juice or milk to thin it out a bit. If she will try a food, she always likes it, but she won't try anything. Is smoothies "taking the easy way out"? I figure it's the same food she'd be eating anyway, only a vegetarian version and through a straw.

soflashelley

Asked by soflashelley at 9:07 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Kids who are picky eaters are not all bad but when they start to loose weight because they won't eat that is not good. Smoothies are a good choice as long as smoothies include healthy choices like yours do. I wouldn't keep her on an all smoothie diet. Trying offering her the food you are eating and if she refuses give her a smoothie. She is probably a little too young for too much negotiating. My oldest son is 5 and has become picky. I tell him he has to at least try it.
    I bought a pizza with tomatoes and onions on it (both things he refuses to eat) and it took me a half an hour to get him to take 1 bite. Now he asks me to buy that pizza because he loved it. Bad mom or not my son will point to a tomato and ask me what it is and I won't tell him until he tries it.
    What your doing is a good start.
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 9:44 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• If it is all she will take it will be ok for a while. Keep trying the other food and she will probably get back to eating soon enough.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:57 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I agree with ChristyW3 in that you are doing a good job. As a mom to a picky eater sometimes you have to do what is best for your child to get the nutrition in their bodies. A smoothie is a good way to substitute the foods your child needs when she refuses to eat them. I say good job.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 9:59 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• My son is somewhat picky too, but if your daughter is losing weight because of it, you just have to do what you can to get some food in her. Keep trying other stuff, but don't make too big of deal about it so she doesn't end up with food issues. My son is pretty good about eating most fruits, but he's picky about meat and vegetables. He does like yogurt, oatmeal w/ fruit, spaghetti w/ red sauces only, and things like pancakes and breads. I often hide veggie puree in his yogurt or make vegetable pancakes (like sweet potato, pumpkin or even carrot). I can usually hide extra vegetables in spaghetti sauce too. My son also has issues with some textures, so he doesn't like grapes or blueberries unless they are dried (like raisins) or baked in something like a muffin. I just keep trying stuff. Maybe her pediatrician will have some other suggestions and can rule out any problems that might cause her to not want to eat too.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:26 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• use half and half instead of milk, it has more calories and it will help in the weight gain.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 1:09 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My daughter used to eat everything- raw tomatoes, sushi, pesto sauce, kimchee, saurkraut, seriously everything. Then she slowly slarted cutting out one food at a time until she ate nothing. She likes raisins and occasionally yogurt, but only if she sees the container that the yogurt is coming from. She will eat bread sometimes, so I'll give her nut butter sandwiches on whole grains. But usually she just says no to everything and refuses to try it. That's when I just throw all her stuff in the blender.
    soflashelley

Comment by soflashelley (original poster) at 6:57 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Juicing and blending will still give her the nutrients she needs to be healthy.
    Look into the Juice Plus Children's Health Study, www.childrenshealthstudy.com - wonderful health information.
    I give my family the Juice Plus gummies. Juice Plus also makes a smoothie mix packed full of whole food based nutrition and it's delicious.
    If you have any questions about Juice Plus feel free to contact me. This product changed our lives.
    www.welovejuiceplus.com
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 11:29 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Try using a whole milk yogurt, there are a lot that use cream, kids need the fats, and if your aim is to help her gain weight avoid the fat free.
    wadesmum

Answer by wadesmum at 4:55 PM on Dec. 16, 2010