Opening Christmas Gifts

Do you let or are you going to let your LO(s) open one (some) gift(s) on Christmas Eve?
When I was a kid my parents let us open 1 gift of our choice on x.mas eve. For the past few years I've been letting my dd open 1 gift on x.mas eve also but this year I'm not going to put any gifts under the tree before the big night. She is going through the believing in Santa Claus phase so I will be putting the gifts out on x.mas eve when she goes to bed that way she will be SUPER surprised in the morning.  

surprised

thtqrljess07

Asked by thtqrljess07 at 9:09 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Holidays

• I have never let her before but she is only almost 4. I think I will this year.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 9:10 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• We have some xmas parties on xmas eve, so they get presents that day. Also, DH family lives away. WHen the presents arrive from them, they get to open them that day. That way they get to appreciate each gift more individually.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:13 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• It's always been the tradition in my family, as a child and now, that we open one gift on Xmas eve. I put most of the gifts under the tree prior to Christmas but I reserve some, plus Santa's unwrapped gifts, to place under the tree before the kids wake up.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 9:28 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• No. I think it loses some excitement when this is done.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 9:31 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• My kids always get presents on Christmas Eve, for we are either with my mom's family or my in laws. This year it's mom. We'll see the in laws Christmas Day.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:38 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I let them open it the next day
    soraida02

Answer by soraida02 at 9:39 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• my mom never let us open a gift early but she did give us new pajamas the night before
    lovebunny82709

Answer by lovebunny82709 at 11:23 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• @lovebunny82709: we never got new jammies. but thats a good idea, i think i might go buy my dd some new ones. hey, maybe that can even be one of our new x.mas traditions.
    thtqrljess07

Comment by thtqrljess07 (original poster) at 12:00 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I normally let my kids open one gift on christmas eve, one that I choose and its almost always new pajamas and a book or movie. this year they are getting homemade fleece tied blankets that they can use to cuddle under during our movie night!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:13 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• When my kids were young, i would let them open a gift of my choice on the last day of school when school got out for Christmas. That gave them a new present to play with and keep them entertained til Christmas. Then they got the rest of their presents on Christmas morning.
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 6:03 AM on Dec. 16, 2010