About the Bible

I would like to say that I am not trying to sound judgmental just curious if anyone knew. How can you be certain that whats in the Bible is what had happened? It was developed and put together thousands of years after the fact. And there were so many different stories that were left out. Who got to choose which info was important enough to be in the Bible?

vjoaquin

Asked by vjoaquin at 9:10 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Actually, it was a council of Bishops who chose what was in the Bible.....it's a collection of books of different writing styles and different reasons for including each one....most people don't take a literalist view of the Bible.....You may want to do a bit of research on the history of the Bible.....It is quite interesting, and will probably answer a lot of your questions.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:20 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• As with any other book of this type there is little to no proof that these things ever actually happened. That's where the faith comes in. And yes, of course there were tons of things left out, if not it would be impossible to carry... As to who got to choose, the council of Nicaea decided what was to be included and which books needed to be left out. In the end it all came down to a room full of power hungry men with their own agenda.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:22 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Faith is being sure-( Hebrews2:8, I'm fairly certain) I don't question that my parents are my parents. I just believe that they are. I just have to believe that God is great enough that he wouldnt let something like the his written word get jacked up. That is why I don't believe what the Mormons do. They think God didn't complete his book. I feel that God is absolute not half ass about anything. Not to mention he wouldnt just put together a book for fictional reading. Everything God has spoke into his writers is there for a purpose.
    Mrs.Faith

Answer by Mrs.Faith at 9:25 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• these are questions ive been asking myself for several years now...very interested in the answers!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:36 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Well, it wasn't written and developed "thousands" of years later. The texts in the NT were written about 50-150 years or so after Jesus' crucifixion, depending on which text you're referring to and who you're asking. I don't believe, though, that the message is really contingent upon whether or not the events actually happened - in fact, I don't believe most of the OT literally happened. For example, I see Cain killing Abel as representing the development of society from hunter/gatherers to agriculture, or the concept of the Jews slaying Canaanites as the writing of a counter narrative by a group of people breaking away from the mainstream culture of their day. But that doesn't change the transcendent truth of the messages found in the text. Even if Jesus didn't exist, for example (though I do believe he did), the message attributed to him is one that would still be relevant and meaningful (meaning love, compassion, etc.)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:40 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• By faith I accept the Bible's words. Faith is not something that can be explained. It is a mystery, a gift from God.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:14 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• The bible is complete in message and theory even though "books" were left out. This is a good study subject and you can find out why they are controversial. The bible is filled with historical facts and scientific facts. The bible was written so close to Jesus crucifixion that even Paul states witnesses, even bearing the audacity of writing it while witnesses were alive. Once you study about Jesus, you can come to your own conscience conclusions. Jesus also makes references to Adam and Eve, Moses, and things like that, so the NT and OT compliment each other.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 1:18 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• OMT Study Prophecies of the Bible. It is amazing. :)
    2tinyhineys

• Who got to choose which info was important enough to be in the Bible?

King James, President Jefferson for starters...

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 6:00 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Good question! I would love to read the books about Jesus growing up. You are right about so many books missing....I wonder if there will ever be a "complete" version?
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 6:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2010