please don't bash ....I'm in tears-son is not wanting bottle.

I switched bottles and he started to do great but this past couple weeks it's been getting worse gradually. Well, today he only took 1 oZ!!!! Lucky we have cereal but he can't get all his formula in cereal. He SCREAMS!!!. I am calm btw when I offer it and he will slap the bottle and throw a a huge fit. He used to feed himself his bottle but then stopped doing that. He wanted to play with it. I can't get a good amount for him in a sippy. My son throws tantrums really bad over the bottle and it is so frustrating(even when he has already burped and is not gassy or anything). He has no alergies to the formula btw....he just does not want it and when he does not want something that is how ist's gonnna be. I feel like such a horrible mom right now. He is almost 8 months.
I know being a mom is different but I have never had this problem with other babies. They took their bottle and no problems.

There is always a reason he wont' take it: He is too tired. He is too excited. I hear moms who have babies who take their bottles easily and I feel like the crappy mom. I try but I cannot FORCE the bottle especially with his mouth wide open and throwing a huge fit like he does.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Switch back to the previous bottles.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:13 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• no hun it is normal and you are not a bad mom. Talk to your pediatrician and see what he reccomends
    ready4baby2011

Answer by ready4baby2011 at 9:13 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Were you breastfeeding prior? I would just keep trying and maybe try differnent bottles or a different type of milk
    Mrs.Faith

Answer by Mrs.Faith at 9:15 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Is it possible he is teething? I know when my dd was teething she wouldn't take her bottle.
    cherylw993

Answer by cherylw993 at 9:15 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• No just formula
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:16 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Teething is the culprit I am thinking too.
    I remember when he was close to 5 months he did the same thing. He did that for about 2 weeks and then got calm again...then started up....then he had two teeth in around 6 months.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:17 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Sounds heartbreaking! He'll take it from a sippy? have you thought about just doing that and skipping the bottle altogether? then you wont have to break the bottle habit?!?! what if you got a few of the sippys that have the handles then his little cands can hold it better? GL
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 9:21 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• First thought is that if this happened with the bottle change, then go back. But if that's not working....

If he only wants one ounce, then go with that for now. They really do know what they need. That's just to give you a breather; NO baby will starve himself. He might wake in the middle of the night wanting more. That's OK.

Does he get his bottles before or after solids? Make sure the liquid meal comes first... and make sure no one else is undermining you by offering too much in solids.

Other thoughts... any sign of illness? Teething? Both will put a baby off his feed temporarily.

You are NOT a bad mother. The only bad mother is the one who beats her baby.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:22 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I know, when I started a bottle for my daughter, she did great with it. I'm a nursing mom by the way and she's only had formula once and that was enough to convince us that she has a milk allergy. Well, for a long time I would time her feedings so that I wouldn't have to take but 2 bottles a week to daycare for her. But because of exam week I've had to give her a bottle everyday for daycare and recently she went 4 hours on only 1/2 of an ounce. The teacher couldn't believe it, but my daughter refused the bottle completely. It's been about a week of going without a bottle, and so far she's done better at taking a break from that bottle and then going back. She's 6 months old. Maybe your son is getting tired of the bottle and wants something else. Try giving him his formula in a sippy cup. Could be the change he needs to go back to the bottle. Good luck and keep calm :)
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 9:22 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I started off with bottle first but he would throw a fit so then I did solids first because I wanted him to eat at least. I should wait.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:23 PM on Dec. 15, 2010