I need advice on something I'm not too sure about

DD loved her teeth brushed when I noticed she was starting to get them in. Now she is 21 months old. About 4 days ago she just started crying when I was brushing her teeth. I thought I was too rough so I tried it softer. She still cried. But when I give the toothbrush to her she stops her crying and brushes her own teeth. Please no bashing. I'm trying to figure it out because this is my first child. Is it because she is becoming more and more independent and wants to do things on her own? I think she wants to become more independent but I'm just not sure. Please tell me what you think about this matter. Thanks in advance.

sweetpea1217

Asked by sweetpea1217 at 9:50 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• More power to her if she wants to brush her teeth herself. You should pat yourself on the back too, for instilling it in her. You might want to put toothpaste out of reach though. My youngest son decided to brush his own teeth when he was 2 without my knowledge and made a huge mess of the bathroom with the entire tube of toothpaste.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 9:54 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I'd let her do it herself. It's actually a good sign that she's showing signs of independence.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 9:52 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I'm sorry, but hearing this made me laugh. It was so cute! She's telling you that she wants to do it herself momma, let her brush her own teeth. When she gets done say "good job honey, now let mommy see if you got all the bad germ monsters out of your mouth" and then 'pretend' to see some and brush her teeth yourself (that's what worked with my older two and my younger 2, I'm even planning on doing this with the baby). It's okay. I was the same way with my first child. Congrats on your budding independent baby momma! You're going to need it :D
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 9:55 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Just let her brush her own teeth. If she brushes long enough she will be fine. If you feel she isn't brushing well enough tell her she can brush after you get the hard spots. She is getting to be the age when she wants to do everything on her own. It's good to let her when she can.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:54 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• My son will be 2 in March...and he HATES it when I try to do it...but is thrilled if I let him do it on his own..so that's what we do. If I try, it's just a lost cause..he screams, kicks..you name it. So, I choose not to fight with him. He likes the independent thing I guess. GL!
    LoveMyKids0203

Answer by LoveMyKids0203 at 9:56 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I would just let her brush her own teeth. you could get a timer and have her brush them for 2 minutes and then ask her if you can look at them. Tell her you just want to see what a great job she did. If you find that she is not brushing well enough ask her if you can help a little. I know it sounds strange, although even at this age she is her own person.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:57 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• let her brush. mine brushes all the time with me. does mostly everything i do. actually i don;t think i have ever actually brushed her teeth maybe a couple of times. its great that they know from very young. my little one even tells me that she wants to brush.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:05 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• It could be that she's gained a sense of independence, or she could be teething a molar in the back. I can't remember, but I think my son was getting some teeth in when he was about that age - in fact, it was October of last year (his birthday is the end of Dec, so he was just getting ready to turn 2), we went to Universal, and I carried him, and he was drooling so badly from the teething that it ran down my arm, lol. So I'd check to see if she's got any spots, and if not it really could just be that she wants to do it herself - and as long as she does it well enough, I'd let her! Maybe, if you're scared of her missing a spot or something, you can let her do it and then ask her if you can go over it, or go over it first and then let her finish up. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:07 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I tell my 2 year old "I start, you finish" about brushing her teeth.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 7:00 AM on Dec. 16, 2010