He keeps pooping in my daughters room!?!

We got a 5mo Lab/Collie 3wks ago. His first week here he had no accidents in the house. But about the 8th day he was here we found he had pooped in DD's room. In the next 3 days he kept going back. I shampoo'd in there with special "dog shampoo" from Petsmart and we are trying to keep DD door shut for a while so i can shampoo again & hopefully brake him of the habit. But we are not use to her door being closed so we all forget.
About 5 minutes ago I look up & see him coming out of her room & sure enough-he left me something in there!

I dont know what to do! My dh just went out with him an hour ago! And he doesnt really give us a "signal".. We take him out about every 4-5hrs (if not more during the day)...
During the day if he stands/sits by the door I ask him if he needs to go potty & let him out..
But hes never pawed at the door or anything :-(
IDK what to do.
How do I remove the smell so he doesnt keep returning to his "spot". How to break this habit? And get him to signal us to let him out?

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 9:55 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Pets

• I think you need to first of all get him on a leash in the house, since he is able to sneak off into this room. That will stop that behavior. Second, you can hang a bell off the door and teach him to ring it as a signal. And third, use a crate if you can't have eyes on him at all times. And fourth, feed him his dinner right on his pee spot in her room for about a week and a half. Also take him in there, roll around on the spot and play with him with his toys there. That should make it undesirable for potty...however you have to supervise, like having a baby..100% or else he will just sneak off and find another spot. AND fifth, give him a bit of a reward EVERY time he potties outside, right on the spot.
    Also, poop accidents like this are a sign of emotional distress or anxiety. Yes, he is just adjusting, but you need to have constant supervision and boundaries.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:01 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I would let him out much more often. He is young. I would clean the spot with soap and water. Then pour vinegar on that spot. Let it evaporate. The smell will only last a few days, but the poop smell will be gone.

dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:57 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I use this stuff from Natures Miracle called NO MARK it neutralizes the bacteria and removes the smell and makes them not want to mark there again, but it wears off. I also use another spray that leaves an unpleasant smell to them and they don't want to be in the room anymore.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:58 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I have heard that there are pads to train them to go in 1 spot you should ask on the petsmart
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 9:58 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• This is pretty common. In the beginning he was adjusting to his new invironment and not he is getting out of the honeymoon phase. He is still a young dog and should not be allowed to have free rain in the house. If you have to put up baby gates. All dogs give signals when they need to go out but some dogs are more subtle about it then others. You might want to teach him to ring a bell when he needs to go out. If you don't have one you might also get a crate.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:19 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Vinegar, definitely. It will kill the smell of his poo, which he can smell long after you can't no matter how many times you shampoo that carpet. You might try taking him out more often, I have a lab and they aren't the easiest to potty train. It takes work, and taking the dog out every 2-3 hours might help the problem. It can also be a dominance thing, but wiht him being so young, I doubt that. You can crate train him, too. You just out him in the crate at night and when you aren't home, take him out to potty and if he doesn't potty, put him back in the crate. Wait ten minutes and take him out again. Repeat until he goes, then he gets to stay out of the crate and play. This is how we trained our dog and she did great once we got the crate involved.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:51 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• he should be goin out every 2 to 3 hours not 4 or 5! he is a puppy so he cant hold it in for long. thats why you are having problems and try carpet cleaner for pets.
    babbykrissy

Answer by babbykrissy at 10:24 PM on Dec. 15, 2010