How to get your child to listen?

my daughter will be 3 in a few months... and she is in this stage where she doesn't listen..and tries to be the boss. its really getting to me though because i cant stand to have to tell her over and over and over to stop doing something before she stops and then and tells me well mama.... etc like close your eyes and go to sleep its bed time... smirk well mama youre not going to sleep... how do i gets her to listen? and stop trying to be the boss? without having to get on to her several times in a few hours.. i hate having to constantly punish her.. she is a wonderful kid...

Ross2010

Asked by Ross2010 at 10:07 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think when they are that little that a reward system is the only way to go since it's really a matter of conditioning them to do things a certain way or learn to do things a certain way which can take some time and repetition for them to actually learn how to follow through on things.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 5:48 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I'd say I'm older and I don't have to. When you're older than I am (which will never happen) you can tell me when to go to bed. It works with my son who is 8 now. It's been working for 5 years lol
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 10:09 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I'd give her a time limit, then start by taking things away from her. Explain to her that you are the parent and you know what is best for her. Tell her that if you didn't love her then you wouldn't correct her. Put her in time-out (or whatever you do for punishment) and tell her that everytime she doesn't listen to you then you will add more time to her being in time-out (and don't make it easy, if she doesn't do it after a few times of sitting down, make her stand in time-out). This is a power struggle your going through in which she thinks (and is actually doing) to succeed. Remember, YOU are the parent, not her. She HAS to listen to you.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 10:14 PM on Dec. 15, 2010